In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reloading success...finally...

McDAccountantMcDAccountant Member Posts: 466 ✭✭
I've been reloading for a little over six months. Started out with 38 Special and moved into rifle reloading...30-06, since that's the only loadable rifle I own. I've had lots of fun trying different loads but never really nailed down a truly accurate load...most of my reloads usually shoot groups of a couple of inches or so at 100 yards.

Well, I think I've finally done it!

I was looking for a light load for turkey hunting with my 30-06 (its legal to use a rifle for turkey here in West "By God"...), something that was accurate out to 100 yards but wouldn't blow the turkey to smithereens. After having shot my FIL's Winchester 25-20 last fall, I thought something like that would be a blast to go after gobblers with...86 gr. bullet/~1600 fps. Being that all 30-06 loads on the market are extreme overkill for what I wanted, I knew I was going to have to come up with something on my own. So, late last spring after gobbler season, I started experimenting.

I started off with 110 gr. bullets and minimum loads from several different sources. I quickly realized that I couldn't get very good accuracy out of the 110s and that, even at minimum load, that was going to leave nothing but a big hole and/or a pile of feathers on anything other than a head/neck shot.

So I tried some 150 gr. bullets with publised reduced loads. I got pretty good accuracy on this attempt, but still, there wouldn't be anything left but a big hole/pile of feathers if I hit the body of a turkey.

Well, I tried some Trail Boss and the 150s...the velocity was almost what I wanted (a little on the low side) but the accuracy wasn't very good (too much difference in POI between 25 yards and 100 yards). Tried the 110s with the Trail Boss...the velocity was good but the accuracy was terrible, wouldn't group worth a darn. I really think my rifle doesn't like 110s, period.

I had kinda shelved the idea until I was at the LGS the other day, I happened to stumble upon a box of Sierra Pro Hunter 125 gr. spitzers. I loaded a few at different powder levels to see if I could get around the velocity I was wanting and find something that would group well without a significant difference in POI at 25, 50, 75, and 100 yards. After finding a decent load and doing a little tinkering, I finally settled on a load and fixed up 20 or so rounds to take to the range for testing.

The result was a load that travels around 1600-1650 fps at the muzzle, grouped 1" or so at 25, 50, 75, and 100 yards, POI is +/- 1.5" POA between 25 and 100 yards and has minimal expansion (hopefully there'll be some meat left should I hit the body). At 100 yards, I put four rounds in a hole the size of a nickel...I've never done that before with any round other than .22LR at 50< yards.

Now, if I can just get the turkeys to cooperate this fall...

Going to start working on a deer load soon.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good job, I hope you had fun looking for the LOAD. You might consider looking at cast bullets for reduced loads. Lots more variables to control such as diameter/lube/profile/alloy. Plus you get to shoot way more for less cost.
  • Options
    McDAccountantMcDAccountant Member Posts: 466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    Good job, I hope you had fun looking for the LOAD. You might consider looking at cast bullets for reduced loads. Lots more variables to control such as diameter/lube/profile/alloy. Plus you get to shoot way more for less cost.

That will be my next adventure...after the deer load, of course...
  • Options
    NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like you had a great time experimenting! You'll see in my other post that I did some experimenting on my .30-06 too, with full power deer loads.

Good luck this season!
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try casting your own bullets, you will be amazed how accurate they can be. [;)]
  • Options
    gravleygravley Member Posts: 79
    edited November -1
    Richard Lee's book has a great section on reduced loads and suggestions on the best powders to use. I load 123 gr. RN cast bullets with gas checks out of my 30-06 and they shoot good groups in the 1600-1800 fps range. Might work for your turkey loads.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd be looking at Lyman's handloading cast bullets since jacketed bullets aren't cost effective for your useage.
    There is also a jacketed 110 grain Spire Point I'd try. Spire points gave me best accuracy in a Hornet.
    Also in your quest for best reduced load accuracy, try pointing the rifle up before each shot.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When turkey hunting was legal with a rifle in my area few years back I used a 30-06 and the military ammo FMJ (Full Metal jacket bullet, think it was a 168 grain, primer was red and reported to be corrosive, I and took several turkeys over the years and the FMJ would go through the Turk no matter which direction he was shot from like a sharp pencil with no loss of meat nor bullet expansion. Had to be aware of background due to this non expanding bullet going through several things, like trees, etc, before stopping.

I'm a reloader and don't know if the FMJ military style bullet is even available or legal to possess nowdays, but my main point is you might research for some type of non-expanding bullet is what I had real good experience with on Turks and varmits for saving the skins. Also a real good reduced load powder for several rifles, including the 30-06 is 5744. You can make it produce 30-30 velocities, easily and with very good accuracy idf you choose the correct bullet for the twist o0f the barrel. I use this powder in several of the big kickers at reduced loads for grandkids. You can find reduced load info on-line or send e-mail to accurace arms for further info about recommendatins if not listed online for some calibers.