In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

reloading for M1A

redhead71redhead71 Member Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
Looking to reload for my M1A for hunting. Any suggestion for bullet type and grain? Will be hunting deer, range out to 300yds would be the longest shot.

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any good 150-165 grain bullet will be fine. Pick the one that shoots the best and go for it. For deer the Sierra Game-King would be a good one along with any of the premium bullets out there.
  • Options
    243winxb243winxb Member Posts: 264 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't try to push for maximum velocity, it puts too much strain on the action. Stay in the military standard zone 2650-2750 fps with 150 grain bullet.
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get one of those load books specific for the .308 they have a special M1A section in them for using both commercial or military brass. I think they run under $10. If your near a Cabelas they have them as well.
  • Options
    CryptoChiefCryptoChief Member Posts: 100 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    redhead71,

You may want to invest in a set of small base dies for loading your M1A. It may not happen with all chambers but a small base resizing will ensure your rounds will chamber correctly.

CC
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by armilite
    Get one of those load books specific for the .308 they have a special M1A section in them for using both commercial or military brass. I think they run under $10. If your near a Cabelas they have them as well.

Thanks, Thier is a Cabelas and Gander mtn close to me, I do reload for 30/06 and some 308 and alot of handgun. Most loads I fire through a bolt-action not semi auto. What I have read about military brass I would need to back the powder charge off by 10% because of the military brass is thicker than commerical.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I beleive they were also made to operate in a certain "burn rate" range, just as the M1 garand. Check out some dedicated M1a sites to be sure. The wrong burn rate powder can cause damage to the operating rod and gas system.

IIRC the military burn rate is 4895 in origin.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CryptoChief
    redhead71,

You may want to invest in a set of small base dies for loading your M1A. It may not happen with all chambers but a small base resizing will ensure your rounds will chamber correctly.

CC
    ok what is the difference between small and full length dies?
  • Options
    243winxb243winxb Member Posts: 264 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lee does not make Small Base Dies. RCBS does-The Small Base Sizer Die sizes the case from the shoulder to the head of the case a couple of thousandths smaller than a Full Length Sizer Die. In certain calibers it also sets the shoulder of the case back a thousandth or two more than the Full Length Sizer Die. Standard dies should work fine for your M1.
    [url] https://saami.org [/url]