In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

45 acp and a new press

uni82uni82 Member Posts: 416 ✭✭
Ok here we go. I have 2 posts up regarding expander dies and an automatic press. So this is a question to combine the two.

5 stage press

45 acp stages of reloading
1. size
2. expand mouth
3. prime
4. charge
5. bullet seat
6. crimp

I will be purchasing a 5 stage press but there are 6 stages for 45 acp reloading? How do other people do it?! hahaha

I think that the expansion die and the prime happen in one stage. Am I correct?

I am VERY new to straight walled case reloading. I will be competing in IDPA shortly and need to volume and make accurate rounds. Thanks for all your help. I apoligize if these questions are ameatuer but that is what I am. I want to soak it all in.

Thanks for all your help!

-JD

Comments

• geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    Most do the round in 4 stations:

1. Size and remove old primer.
    2. Expand, prime, load powder.
    3. Insert bullet.
    4. Final crimp.

"If" you have more stations available I would recommend the Lee Final Size/crimp die. If you do not, I would still run the final crimp die in a single press, saves a lot of problems.

Best of luck
  • uni82uni82 Member Posts: 416 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    awesome thanks, as I said. Im a Newbi!!!

-JD
  • NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do the round in 4 stations as well:

1) Size and deprime on downstroke, reprime on upstroke.

2) Flare mouth, powder.

3) Seat bullet

4) Crimp

I use a Lee Classic Turret Press and Lee dies, including factory crimp. Works great.
  • 243winxb243winxb Member Posts: 264 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Same as Navybat, but using an early Dillon RL450
    [url] https://saami.org [/url]
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I assume the range brass has first been tumbled and cleaned.
    Some like to first deprime and size in a carbide die (that wont scratch)
    followed by tumbling to clean, degrit and clean primer pockets before
    starting the loading sequence.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by v35
    I assume the range brass has first been tumbled and cleaned.
    Some like to first deprime and size in a carbide die (that wont scratch)
    followed by tumbling to clean, degrit and clean primer pockets before
    starting the loading sequence.

Range brass neds to be tumbled and cleaned BEFORE being run through a carbide die. Any dirt can scratch the die [B)]
  • noyljnoylj Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your problem is including the priming operation as a station activity.
    Standard 5-station set-up (never use a progressive press with less than 5 stations) is:
    1) Size/Deprime
    1.5) Generally, on the down-stroke you will seat the new primer. The Dillon 1050 is the only press I know of that seats a primer at the same time all other operations are going on, and it is an "8"-station press.
    2) Powder-through expander so you expand the case where the bullet will be seated, flare/bell the case mouth, and drop the powder charge in one step. You do this with the Lee Pro Auto-Disk and the Dillon, Horandy, and RCBS powder measures and their respective powder-through die inserts.
    3) RCBS Lock-Out die to verify the powder charge height is correct. Die locks the press if the "foot" goes to far down or not far enough down the case.
    4) Bullet seat
    5) Crimp.
    All done. You have a built-in safety with the Lock-Out die and your own visual inspection of the case when you place a bullet on the charged case.
  • reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Resize pop primer.....flare case add primer....drop powder....add bullet and seat...