In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Original Barnes Bullets

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
Does anyone still shoot the original Barnes "X" Bullets? Just wondering because I shoot the triple shocks now and have some old original "X" bullets laying around. I thought about listing them but have no idea as to what they are worth. I have a full box of 270 140 gr XBT's, a full box of 270 130 XFB's and a partial box of 338 200 gr XFB's. Any idea as to a value for each or the whole lot? Would it even be worth the time to list? Thanks.

todd

edit: there are 50 per box

Comments

• Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the original X bullet needed to be loaded "down" since it was a solid with no "compression grooves", like the TSX. It did NOT comform to the rifling as a copper jacketed, lead core bullet did. It created more pressure with a similar load designed for a cup and core bullet.

I found them to be less than acceptable in the accuray department, but then again, my standards for accuracy are skewed since I have shot many becnhrest matches.

They also copper foul like nobody's business.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like you, I have a few of the old laying around too. I now shoot the TSX, and Tipped TSX. Before the TSX, and after the first X, I was shooting the XLC.

Try putting them on the auction side and starting them at $1.00 per box.

Best
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks.[:)]quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    Like you, I have a few of the old laying around too. I now shoot the TSX, and Tipped TSX. Before the TSX, and after the first X, I was shooting the XLC.

Best
  • Options
    idahoduckeridahoducker Member Posts: 740 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965

I was going to say the same thing. I took a look and they seem to be selling fine in various calibers if they're started at a low price.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I think you've gotten good advice. I've had similar results with the old Barnes bullits. The only Barnes bullits I use are the 400gr SS in my Siamese Mauser 45-70.
    W.D.
  • Options
    243winxb243winxb Member Posts: 264 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    justC covered it well. You might have to give them away, or sell for copper scrap price.
    [url] https://saami.org [/url]