In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

223 RELOADS

DAMMITDONDAMMITDON Member Posts: 158 ✭✭✭
What would be a good sub-sonic load FOR 223 55GR.100/150 YD.

Comments

• Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Question?

Are you indicating that you want to shoot a 223 bullet at less than 1200 fps (subsonic) for a distance of 150 to 200 yards accurately?

If subsonic, what are you trying to accomplish at this 200 yards distance, etc????
    (like what are you shooting at)

I hunt squirrels, pests etc, with reduced loads from a 223, with very good accuracy out to approx 60 yards, but I don't expect any serious accuracy at 200 yards.????????

I have to use match weight hulls, (within 1-2 grains weight), uniform the primer holes inside the case, small pistol primers and lightly crimp the bullets for a consistent bullet pull.
    I can also use hulls that have been reloaded several times, so I save my HV hulls that are at their outer limits for the low vel loads!
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Okie, it was such an outlandish question that I didn't answer at first.

But just for snits and griggles, I have determined that a .224" bullet of 150 grains can be launched at 1100 fps - but you'd need a rather odd barrel. The bullet would be 2.88" long, thus requiring a longish throat. The twist rate would be one turn in two inches, which means the bullet would make more than one turn in less than its own length.

For the record, and joking aside, the .223 can be loaded to emulate every round from the .22 Short almost to the .22-250. I have just completed one article on doing just that, and am working on another.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    For the record, and joking aside, the .223 can be loaded to emulate every round from the .22 Short almost to the .22-250. I have just completed one article on doing just that, and am working on another.

Thouight maybe the guy was going to trfy and recycle his bullets by maybe catching them in a plastic trash bag! (Ha)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I WILL BE SHOOTING HOGS WITH SUPPRESSOR ON 223. FEEDER IS 100YD. THAT IS WHY AND WHAT
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't believe that a 55-gr bullet will have anywhere near enough energy remaining to kill a hog at 100 yards if launched at 1000 fps. On that basis, I'll decline to give a load recipe.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Might consider a Bean Flip.
    I would get safely elevated (out of harms (hogs) reach) if using the subsonic 223 at 100 yards. Might make'em mad and agitated when they start feeling the stings from the 223!
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am reminded of the story that my Dad told on himself. Dad was born in 1902. When he was a kid (in the days when we didn't have so many Federal rules) he had a Model 12 Remington and had it fitted with a silencer. There was a bounty on crows and he knew of a roost. He got hidden in there before dusk and envisioned the wealth he would enjoy once he gathered up all the dead crows. Well, the trees did fill up with crows but when he thought the time was right to commence firing, he racked the slide to chamber a cartridge and the flock took off--he never got a decent shot. I believe that was the end of the silencer idea. I still have that old rifle--it's been rebarreled with an octagon barrel since its silencer days and is about worn out but it was Dad's rifle and it will stay with me 'til the end of my days.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    These hogs come 40/50 at a time,I only shoot small 20/30 lb best eating.
  • Options
    JustjumpJustjump Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never tried it with 223 but we have killed them out to 60 yds with a 22mag (very small pigs)
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you considered a large bore HP air gun?
  • Options
    lksmith03lksmith03 Member Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have thought of doing the same type of thing with hogs. The best suggestions I can give is get a 22lr conversion kit (that replaces the bolt), or get a hi powered air rifle or get an upper that can push a bigger bullet than 22. Trying to do a sub sonic 223 is risky since you either have to have a "wad" to hold the powder close to the primer. If you don't, then you run the risk of spotty ignition. Shy of that, you could use a modified case to take up the volume.
    I wish I could give you a load but I have been unable to find one
  • Options
    gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have switched to the 60gr 22 subsonics for pesky critters around my place, but I cannot IMAGINE shooting a feral hog with that round, unless I can put it IN his EYE or his HOLE , otherwise it will never make it to do damage. I assume you are expecting more penetration with a pointy FMJ, and maybe 1/2 again in weight, either way it better be a well placed shot....and you are going to need photos !

Good Luck
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    The .223 is marginal for hogs anyhow, imho. Downloading it to 1/3 it's original velocity equals... less effect than a .22 long rifle would have.

If it must be subsonic, get an NEF handi rifle for $150 in 30-06, and load it with 200 gr cast lead and about 9 gr of Trail Boss. That should be about 1100 fps and still have the oomph you need with proper shot placement.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From what I have seen, while shooting one of the local police dept swat team's rifles with a suppresor, (steyer in 308), they are woefully underpowred when you make them subsonic. He needed something like 3 feet of elevation to make the 200yd target.

Do yourself a favor and load them supersonic. The report with the suppresor will sound like a 22lr or less, and you will still have the horsepower to get it done.
  • Options
    leadburnerleadburner Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are looking for a load for this,you can go on Hodgdons load site and they have a 55grn. load at about 1000 fps,I think it is with titegroup powder.
    It's worth a look and answers your question![8D]
  • Options
    mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
    edited November -1
    For a medium hog/pig really want 270+ cal ,150gr not too soft on the tip !! Just my op & i shot a few [;)]
  • Options
    lksmith03lksmith03 Member Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    From what I have seen, while shooting one of the local police dept swat team's rifles with a suppresor, (steyer in 308), they are woefully underpowred when you make them subsonic. He needed something like 3 feet of elevation to make the 200yd target.

Do yourself a favor and load them supersonic. The report with the suppresor will sound like a 22lr or less, and you will still have the horsepower to get it done.

+1 with a 22 caliber bullet you need all the velocity you can get to down one of those tuff critters.
    When I shoot my 223 with suppressor it sounds like a 22lr, but the difference is that the crack sounds like it comes from the target rather than me.
    If what you are hoping to accomplish is to pick several of them off before they realize what's going forget it. hogs are pretty smart creatures and just the sound of the bullet hitting is just as apt to scare them off as the gunshot. I read and article a couple months back where a guy was hunting hogs with a suppressed 300whisper from 100-200 yds away and said "all you could hear was the bullet impact and they all ran of after the first shot so the suppressor really didn't help make the shooting any easier