In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Win 270 powder suggestions.............

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
Got all of my new 270 Winchester brasss all ready for some new bullets. Am going to shoot 130 Barnes TSX. The current book lists 6 powders for reloads and I currently have 3 of em. I have IMR 4350, RL 19 and H4350. The book says that H 4350 gave the best results however I only have about a half pound of it and have over 2 pounds of IMR 4350. Not worried about buying powder at all just wondering if anybody has any time saving suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Todd

Comments

• Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Todd,
    I've been a 270 shooter for more than 40 years, my dad read everything Jack O'Connor wrote and swore the only thing a 270 wasn't fit for was elephant. I load 59grs of H4831SC over a Win LRP primer and push a Nosler 130gr Partician or Accubond. This is pretty much O'Connors recipe, originaly he used long grain H4831 and a magnum primer. The old long grain H4831 was a little harder to light, hence the magnum primer. I've owned atleast 20 270s over the years, almost everyone of them has shot better with this load than anything else.
    Hope this helps.
    W.D.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,981 ******
    edited November -1
    FWTW I'VE FOUND THE 'RL' POWDERS TO GIVE SLIGHTLY MORE UNIFORM 'SD'S', NOT MUCH DIFFERENCE IN THE VARIOUS 4350'S
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FWIW: I found that RL22 produces similiar velocity as the old surplus H4831 that O'Connor used(when there was only one 4831). The current H4831 is a little slower and the current IMR4831 is a good bit faster.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First, I would say move to a slower single base powder. H4350 works but is a little fast. H4831 gives best velocity of the Hodgdon powders.

As far as the RE powders go, RE-19 for lighter pills and Re-22 for heavier pills. The .270 is one 'not forgotten' caliber by customers. Gun manufacturers would have buried it a long time ago if people didn't like what it can do.