In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reloading Information

TexasSSTexasSS Member Posts: 307 ✭✭
Want to get into reloading but I dont know a thing about it or anybody local that could teach me. So gonna have to do it myself. The only thing I know to do is grab some books and start reading.
With that in mind what would you all suggest for someone of extremely limited knowledge. Id like a few that really hit the basics. Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    run some searches on youtube?

Search the forums for RCBS. There a post not long ago that had a link to a video on reloading.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try U Tube, I believe I ran across some videos on there awhile back. Be very cautious regarding the type of reloading press though. Lot of these hot shots will try to make you believe that a progressive press is the greatest thing since sliced bread, taint so! Start with a single station press until you get your feet wet. The most critical/important things in reloading is the priming of the brass and the charging of the brass with powder. Once you get these down pat, everything else is a piece of cake.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good for you. Read several books cover to cover. Some carts are easier to load for than others. Don't freakout on ruining a case or two setting up the dies. Chargeing cases with fast burning powder deserves your full attencion. The loading block is your friend. I like the carbide pistol dies and Redding sizing die wax the best. The newer Lyman book covers both cast and jacketed bullets. Ask more questions if you aren't sure.
  • Options
    45er45er Member Posts: 245 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Howdy Texasss,

Use the search tool here, and Gunbroke also has a reloading forum if not aware? Ah, the modern age-- info is freely plentiful all over the internet.

More questions will arise as you gain knowledge, and helps us if knowing what ammo you want to reload, too.

Very basic:
    --Treat reloading same as shooting/handling firearms-- safety first.
    --Keep an orderly, clean reloading area.
    --Follow the step-by-step instructions laid out in the reloading manual.
    --Keep focused... no distractions, or stop and come back later.
    --On that last note, a true confession of my own making-- loading a batch of .30 Carbine early on when starting out, I loaded up one squibb load, (no powder charged into that particular case, big oops). Luckly, no damage done, as when fired that cartridge, the dislodged bullet would not allow another cartridge to be chambered. Whew, there is a god! So, very humbly learned this and now gladly pass it on, that after having a full loading block of cases powdered up and ready to seat the bullets, to first visually inspect each and every case under good light, (I even use a flashlight), for uniformity of powder volume before moving on to the seating step. This also is added insurance against a double powder charge. (Did I mention safety first?).
    --Purchase name brand componets and hardware.
    --Ask more questions.
    --Take your time and enjoy. To roll your own quality ammo is not difficult at all.

I also agree with the single stage press when starting out, moving on to a multi-tasker turrent type progressive press later on, and then if wishing high volume, my opinion.

Look for a package kit containing most everything you need for basic starting out reloading. Saves some money that way, too. I started out with the already time-proven RCBS Rock Chucker Press and package deal-- reloading manual, the press, powder scale, one set of dies of my choice of caliber, powder charger, powder trickler, lube, lube pad, etc). This was some 30-odd yrs ago and has never failed from small pistol to large magnum rifle. If recall, I think I only had to buy a case trimmer and the blocks as extra.

Hopes this helps,
    45er
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    Do yourself a big favor.
    Don't try and get cute
    by down loading a 44
    trying to get the round to
    bounce off a piece of plywood.
    Been there without good results!
  • Options
    lpaalplpaalp Member Posts: 947 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "The ABC's of Reloading" edited by Bill Chevalier, is widely held to be the, or one of the, best. Lot of pictures and step by step directions.

also, most reloading manuals contain good guidance.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What he just said right up there ^^^^

Get ABCs of reloading before you buy anything else.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you could go to the reloading and competition shooting forum......[:D]
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RCBS made a very nice DVD for beginners - paid $9.99 at my local Scheel's store.

Good luck and happy safe reloading.

Ed
  • Options
    trapguy2007trapguy2007 Member Posts: 8,959
    edited November -1
    On youtube ,I think it is Ammosmith .
    Great video instructions .
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by victorj19
    run some searches on youtube?

Search the forums for RCBS. There a post not long ago that had a link to a video on reloading.

+1

Quick, easy way to get some info. Lots of videos on how people go about things. Just keep in mind some of the videos(not commericaly made, example...Billy Bob Buckshot) may not always provide correct or safe info.

Try looking at reloading companies, reloading componet companies for info. RCBS, LEE, HORNADY,ect...
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would get the book using the bullets you plan to load with and one other general book. Many say The ABC's of Reloading or Lyman's books. I have Lymans 49th edition Reloading Handbook and another older one. Can't remember which one it is without running down to the gun room. Since I don't have the 'ABC's' it's not possible for me to give a run down on it. Just that several members recommend it. The Lyman series has some great information in the front of it. Great pictures and detailed, explicit information on what to and not to do. However, I find I have some cartridges that disagree with the load data. Cartridges that don't disagree with my other manuals. So, one major rule is to find a safe start point and work up. One simple ladder test can give you that information. Expect to pull a few bullets, but you will know what your rifles pressure limitations are.

One of the reloading videos I hope you find on you tube shows loading your initial ladder with the bullet just into the lands. This will always be your highest pressure. You probably won't ever make it to 'book max' doing that. But that is one way benchrest and long range reloaders get great accuracy.
  • Options
    NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Lee reloading manual is VERY comprehensive on the basics, and I read it in detail prior to my own reloading efforts. It's also very inexpensive yet has a LOT of data in it.

I will definitely get you up to speed and then you can supplement it with all the other resources to get multiple takes on the same issues.

Have fun!
  • Options
    TexasSSTexasSS Member Posts: 307 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ALOT of good info here, Thanks everyone. Got a feeling its gonna be a slow roll but not detered. If i blow any fingers off ill be sure to post some pics (as long as the mods dont freak). Anyway thanks for the advice.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glad to see you starting! Reloading steps in most books are the same.
    One point I like to stress, Powder load data does vary from one book to another. IE one book's starting load might be another books near Max load.

Lymans reload manual is a very safe start. Not to say other manuals are not safe, I have ran across a few that push the limit with a narrow margin for error. The easy way to over come that problem with 3-6 load tables is to find "the center of the road" (Average) and you will always have a good working point to start with.

Just a little something to file away and keep in the back of your head.[:)]
  • Options
    idahoduckeridahoducker Member Posts: 740 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out www.reloadingroom.com and click on the Reloading 101 link. That info is from Rocky Raab, one of the members here.
    Come back here a lot and ask every question you have. Reloaders seem to like to help each other out. And remember, while proper reloading is safe, there aren't any stupid questions when you're dealing with explosives.
  • Options
    txfellertxfeller Member Posts: 198 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    posted by FrancF[/i]

One point I like to stress, Powder load data does vary from one book to another. IE one book's starting load might be another books near Max load.

That's very true, and a good point to stress. Most beginning reloaders don't realize why all manuals list the brand of case they are testing the presure with along with the data. Fact is, different brands of cases have different capacities, and therefore, different pressures. What may be a mild load in a winchester case could easily be a near max load in a federal or remington case, and so it goes.

For the most part, when one sees such a difference in charge amounts, it's because the manuals are using different brands of cases to test the loads. It also may explain why you see so many posts about charge table velocity being so different versus what a shooters chronograph measures.
  • Options
    Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    TexasSS - so how far have you taken the information and suggestions from here on the forums a few weeks back?