In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.45 load for 1911's only

midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
What overall lengths are you guys finding to be pretty accurate? I know every gun is different. Im looking for several different answers here just to get myself a good idea where to start. Thanks

Comments

• v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think Perry Shooter may have the most experience in target ammo loading and shooting the 1911 on this site.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The OAL is set more by the need for reliable feeding than accuracy. What bullets are you using?
  • midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Currently using Hornady xtp 185 gr hollow points. Trying to get an idea of where to seat so that the bullet is just touching the lands. I can do it by trial and error with dummy rounds but was hoping to get an idea of where to start in effort to save time on the guesswork. The max length will fit my magazines and feed with no problem. However, trying to eject an unfired round for unloading will leave the bullet stuck in the lands. If that happens at the range, that wouldn't be fun. Factory ammo (at least what I have on hand: winchester rangers) is seated about .075 shorter than max. Obviously good to ensure reliable feeding in any gun it may be loaded into.

What I want to do is seat my bullets with them just touching the lands to eliminate any bullet jump TO the lands from a round that's too short.

I know what is too long, I know what is too short, and I know how to find what I want. But it made me curious as to what has been working well for everyone else.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello Most target shooters shoot semi wadcutter shaped bullets these bullets have a sharp shoulder "easier to score " What we do in this case is remove the barrel from the pistol and then set the loaded round in the chamber with the barrel pointed DOWN the loaded round should drop under it's own weight Into the chamber with the case head about .005 past flush"insided" with the breach face end of the barrel hood. All ammo no matter what bullet should drop fully into the chamber under it's own weight. We have used the 185 grain Hollow point made by NOSLER and I load them with OAL of 1.240 I also load 230 grain Ball and use this same OAL normally the longest round that will fit in both the Magazine and the barrel chamber will feed the best IFyou have the proper taper crimp. Taper crimps work MUCH better then other crimps.the case mouth of loaded round should be .469 +or- .002. Be aware that long rounds need to some times involve the dropping of the magazine to remove loaded round because the ejection port is shorter then a loaded round.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You will not see a measurable improvement in accuracy with a pistol by changing seating depth.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Try 1.200 COL for them.
  • NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcs shooters
    Try 1.200 COL for them.

I also use 1.200 as COL. Seems to work fine for me, 230 grain FMJ.