In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

38 Special, 200 gr. lead loads

WinMikeWinMike Member Posts: 144 ✭✭✭
Friend of mine has a 38 S&W, which lead to research about the Brit .380-200 military load, which lead to my "need" to replicate that cartridge in 38 Special.
I have some loads using some of the powders in my inventory: H2400, IMR 4227, Blue Dot, W231, Unique and Green Dot, but am wondering if I can also use AA #5. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Try www.accuratepowder.com for load data. Also try the guys at-
    www.handloadersbench.com/forum17/14485.html
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Accurate doesn't list a 200 gr. bullet...I'm trying your other suggestion. Thanks!
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From an old Lyman book 200 gr 35875 or 358430 for 38 Special
    Bullseye 2.0 gr 590 fps 2.7 gr 720 fps
    Unique 2.0 gr 450 4.0 gr 681
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks, guys....and I thought I had old Lyman load books....[8D]

The Saeco 200 gr. bullet http://www.westernbullet.com/sa3gr2.html is going to make COL +1.650"! ....obviously won't fit in all revolvers, especially snub nose. Should be interesting to shoot.

The Brits believed that the .380-200 had as much "stopping power" as their .455 Webley, despite an almost 400+/- ft.lb. difference. Since I don't have access to gelatin blocks, a field of sheep or a stable of horses (U.S. Army's favorite early 20th century test subjects), I'll just have to take their word for it.

But come on.....[?] You think?!
  • Options
    mackcranemackcrane Member Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lyman 45th book lists a 158 grain cast bullet as the largest in 38 S&W,38 special has a 195 grain cast with 2.0 grains of Bullseye or 3.0 grains of Unique.
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Modern Reloading by Richard Lee 2nd edition. Barrel length etc. is not specified, so your velocity might vary from what is listed:

.38 Special 200 grain lead bullet:

Unique 3.4 gr starting load for 745 fps
    3.6gr max load for 780 fps 15700 psi OAL 1.540 in

Blue Dot 5.0gr starting load for 802 fps
    5.3 gr max load for 850 fps 16000 psi OAL 1.540 in

Green Dot 3.0gr starting load 729 fps
    3.1gr max load for 750 fps 15500 PSI OAL 1.540 in

Didn't see anything for AA#5.

As usually stated regarding internet load suggestions, check for updates and other safe loads on the powder company websites or call their tech guys if you have questions. Have fun and shoot safely!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all who responded....I'm loading them this week, and will report later!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Per the above posts, the Brits took the 38 S&W (aka 38 Colt New Police, 380 Rim, 38 Corto), added a 200 gr. lead bullet (changed in 1937 to a 178 gr. FMJ) at 680+/- fps and declared it the "equal in stopping power) to their previous standard round, .455 Webley.

I must have one of these 38 S&W, I thought..until in a moment of unusual lucidity, I realized that I should be able to replicate that loading in the several 38 Special/357 Magnum revolvers I already own.

So I ordered 200 gr. cast bullets from Western Bullet www.westernbullet.com , who offer two choices: Lyman 358430 LRN and Saeco #351 LFN. (We also ordered the Lyman bullet in .360 for my friend's 38 S&W, but haven't yet loaded them).

There were quite a few loading recipes..thanks to those on this site who contributed their advice..including Unique, W231, Green Dot, Blue Dot and H2400. For the first batch, I loaded the Lyman bullet under 3.1 gr. Green Dot (WSP primers). Although the bullet is long (.808"), crimping in the top groove created a COL of 1.564"..most of my load books show 38 Special COL as 1.45"-1.48". So a big chunk of lead is hanging out in front of the brass, however, it fits in a S&W Mdl 586, Taurus 82 and S&W Mdl 10. It's too long for a Taurus 85 as well as any S&W J frame revolvers.

The Saeco bullet was a different story. It's a longer (.899") slightly-pointy design with a small, flat meplat. Seating the bullet (over 3.8 gr. W231) on the crimp groove created a COL of 1.750", impossibly long for any of my revolvers (this must have been created as a rifle bullet?).

Pushing the bullet down to COL 1.687" fit the Taurus 85 and the Mdl 586, but not the Mdl 10. I finally settled on a COL of 1.604, since the idea is to shoot in my Mdl 10, a firearm similar to the Victory Lend-Lease WWII revolvers sent to England (yes, I know: the Brit Victory revolvers had 5" barrels whereas mine are 4").

I used a Lee "Factory Crimp" die as a last step on both bullets, a step especially needed on the Saeco bullet since there's no crimp at that length.

With both bullets seated as above, there's not a lot of room left in the brass for powder. I think the heavier amounts of powder required for H2400 or IMR 4227 might have created compressed loads, so I'm comfortable using faster powders.

We wandered out into the woods and set up some targets. The Taurus was the most accurate as well as comfortable to shoot, not surprising with its heavy barrel and Hogue grips. The Model 10 was also easy to shoot, even with its small, original wooden grips. Both shot 4" low @ 25 yds. which surprised me, but perhaps the loads are too mild.

Both rounds exhibited a cloud of smoke at ignition, which I attribute to the unknown red lube on the bullets (but that just adds to the air of battle authenticity, right?!) Groups were 6" or less, with at least a third hitting on or near a small bulls eye.

I also shot some 148 gr. wadcutters which I guessed would have the same velocity, but which hit right to POI. Lacking a chronograph, I'm guessing the 200 gr. cartridges are slower. Or is there yet another physics principle of which I'm not aware?
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Most of the time a hotter-faster- load will hit lower as the bullet is out of the barrel faster.
    The way to move POI with fixed sights is to regulate the FPS of the load.
    Slow it down to raise the POI, speed it up to raise POI.
    These things change the recoil some.
  • Options
    machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    I never tried AA#5, but I used 200-grainers with Unique in the .38 Sp and a full-house load of 296 in the .357. The .357 loads shot 6 inches high at 20 yards from a 6" model 19, with the rear sight bottomed out.

I was acquainted with a physician who did wound ballistics research in conjunction with Navy officers at Desert Samaritan Hospital in Phoenix. They shot at donated cadavers in the lab. The doctor told me that 200-grain .38 handloads had been tried, and that at moderate velocities, they tended to penetrate all the way through even if tripped off-axis upon entry. I could easily see such a load taking someone out from under their hat. BTW, they tried just about everything, and they published a paper on the wounding capabilities of the 5.56mm as opposed to the 7.62mm. Again, they were not using gelatin blocks, but were using the real thing, as targets. Advocates of the 5.56mm don't want to know how things came out[;)].
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm an advocate of 5.56/.223....on varmints from coyotes or smaller.....

I was in the Army when 5.56 was just being introduced. We were told that the strategy was to wound....that way, two or more enemy were incapacitated as others helped remove the wounded from the battlefield. At least that's what our side did....[:(]

But we digress.....

I can see how a big o' wad o' lead, even moving slowly, could cause lots of damage: I once shot a deer with a .45 Colt with a 275 gr. bullet and a muzzle velocity of no more than 850 fps.

My next step is to load the Saeco bullets in .357 Mag for my Browning low wall. Should be able to seat them further out, and get a little more velocity.