In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Action conversion question

uni82uni82 Member Posts: 416 ✭✭
I have been looking on the internet for a while. But didn't find a definitive answer. I might be purchasing a Savage target accutrigger action shortly in the standard 308 bolt face.

I want to build a 7wsm. All I would need to do is take it to a smith so they can open the bolt face (to a wsm bolt face like .550) then install a different extractor?

Or:

Should I purchase a rem 700ADL for 379 bucks and get that bolt face opened re-barreled and chambered so I can get a Jewell Trigger.

Purpose of the rifle: long range shooting/benchrest, hunting.

-JD

Comments

• midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    remmy with the jewell would be my vote
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    FOR THE SAVAGE YOU CAN JUST BUY ANOTHER BOLT HEAD
  • uni82uni82 Member Posts: 416 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Okay, So I am a fan of the Remington too. Should I just purchase a Remington 700 in a short action (like a 308 or a 243) and re-barrel it and jewel it up? Then open the bolt face and get a new extractor? Is that the process or am i missing something? Thanks!

-JD
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    uni82,

It depends on what you want to achieve with this rifle. Simply stating that you want to shoot benchrest and then go hunting is a little counter-productive since a true benchrest rifle will never be suitable for hunting. On the other hand, if a stock with a slight beavertail forearm is acceptable for hunting then you could make it work for some impromptu bench shooting also. Note that I didn't say benchrest as in competition, just shooting from a bench for fun.

If you have to be limited to the Savage, you can interchange the bolt head for a magnum as Mike pointed out. Several things come into play though. Savage uses a larger diameter barrel tenon for the WSM/RSAUM cartridges since the head is 0.550" with a 0.534" rim. So be careful which action you buy. The target action should be a single shot unless you want more work to be done to the action. Magazine fed rifles will need to have the rails and feed ramp worked on in order to feed the larger diameter cartridges. The follower will need work also.

I suggest using a Remington M700 action set up for the WSM/RSAUM cartridges from the start. This will save lots of work and aggravation in the long run. It also gets you the greater selection of parts and variations in stocks too. There's no sense in making a lot of work to pay for when the proper action geometry is readily available.

Best.
  • uni82uni82 Member Posts: 416 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nonosense,

That is the answer that I was looking for. Thank you for your expertise. I like the savage target triggers, but didn't realize that it needed a whole lot of work. The only reason that I wanted it was because of the single shot/target trigger combo. I like the challenge of single shot while hunting. Plus I shoot all my bolt actions like a single shot anyway, even when hunting. I really like the idea of a 700 being severely customizable. Which is exactly what I will be going for. Thank you for your time and help!!

-JD