In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

You must go and you will learn more than

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
You could EVER imagine.

The Zins-Moody Shooting Clinic. It is geared towards Bullseye shooters, helping them unlearn all the bad that you know is correct. And then learn what, why and how to do it right. I went to one at Canton-Mckinley gun club in Canton OH. The quality of the educators is top notch. Brian Zins is the 10 TIME NRA Bullseye National Champion. Andy Moody has the only recorded 300-19X ever shot in a national competition, both are living legends in the shooting sports.

Here is a story of Andy as told by Perry Shooter.
I was asked to relate one of my most important memories of BULLS-EYE shooting...

Years ago the Marine Shooting Team had a new OIC that did not allow smoking by his shooters, EXCEPT Andy Moody. (I guess results outweigh training ideas.) I was at the Virginia State matches run by the late Frank Thomas, in Bristol VA and as luck would have it, got to shoot beside and score one of my Favorite Marine shooters, Andy Moody. I was shooting well for me, and Andy was always a point or more better than any of my targets.

We were shooting the .45 Slow Fire stage of the NMC, on the last Slow Fire of the match, and I started with an X followed by a 10. I noticed that at this time, Andy had the slide off of his pistol and was brushing out the barrel. I thought, "WOW, he must have gun trouble," but, like I should, I continued to shoot. With good results after the first magazine, I noticed Andy was back behind the firing line, "SMOKING a cigarette!" and thought, "WOW, he MUST be having trouble!!!"

I shot a few more good shots and looked at Andy and he again had the slide removed and was brushing the bore. The evil thought :-) went through my mind, "I JUST MIGHT BE ABLE TO BEAT ANDY ON THIS ONE TARGET TODAY." I finished my slow fire in about 6 minutes and watched Andy. After 2 more minutes or so he finished and looked over at me and shrugged. I had just fired a 96 with 4 X's, about as good as it got for me with a .45, so I pointed at the eyepiece of my spotting scope and grinned. Andy came over and looked at my target and smiled. With about 30 seconds left, he walked over to his box and pointed at the eyepiece of his scope. I thought, "WHAT THE #$%^n?" I looked in his scope and he had a 100-9X slowfire, after pulling the gun apart twice and smoking. So much for clean gun vs. dirty gun & fouling shots.

Andy went to the short line and had a 100-1x Timed Fire and a 100-9x rapid fire to tie the National Record with a 300-19x. Did I beat andy on any of the 27 targets that weekend? NOOOO! But the memory of that day will go with me, with a smile on my face, to the grave. Feel free to pass this story along to anyone. -Karl Woerner

If you go to the clinic make sure you leave your ego at the door, you won't need it to learn What, When, Where and Why to do as they teach. These guys KNOW what it takes to win and are very careful to make sure you understand how to do it too.

By the way; My goal, as told to Perry Shooter more than once, is to beat Brian Zins in a match, I am getting a bit old for being at the top but with this clinic under my belt and the determination I have to succeed he just might get a run for the money within the next two years or so. [8D][:I]

Comments

• Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Great story, thank you for posting it and thank god for Karl, he is a treasure.
    W.D.
  • Options
    noyljnoylj Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Andy may follow my instinct: "If everything is aligned and the shot goes of, it doesn't matter how long it took." What was his cadence during the other targets/stages?
    I have many times had someone tell me that it was the slow fire and not the rapid fire stage; however, my target was still as good as I could have made it. No shots were rushed and no shots were delayed to try and get an even "better" sight picture.
    I would clear 5 bowling pins in less than 4 seconds not by shooting fast but by making every shot as good as I could make it. If you're dialed in, the gun should return right back where it was and be ready to be fired again.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by noylj
    Andy may follow my instinct: "If everything is aligned and the shot goes of, it doesn't matter how long it took." What was his cadence during the other targets/stages?
    I have many times had someone tell me that it was the slow fire and not the rapid fire stage; however, my target was still as good as I could have made it. No shots were rushed and no shots were delayed to try and get an even "better" sight picture.
    I would clear 5 bowling pins in less than 4 seconds not by shooting fast but by making every shot as good as I could make it. If you're dialed in, the gun should return right back where it was and be ready to be fired again.

Both Andy and Brian were careful to avoid the word cadence. You are correct in saying if you are dialed in, as in having properly prepared for the shot the following shot in sustained fire should follow easily because the muscles are acting-reacting to recoil in a consistent, predictable manner.

The idea is to build a proper grip, most are NOT, a proper trigger finger position, most are NOT and use a consistent SHOT PROCEDURE to bring the gun to target, MOVING the trigger to the rear gaining control of the dot until the gun fires when the dot is in the proper location on the target. That is telling your bullet where to go rather than asking how the hell it got where it was. It is the movement of the trigger, a rolling trigger, NOT a crisp trigger, that is the final rudder refinement moving the dot into the X ring when it goes BANG.