In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lee Perfect powder measure ?

pirate2501pirate2501 Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
What would I set the micrometer to for 2.7 grains. The spec. sheet directions says # of grains x .1064 for Bullseye powder. So 2.7 x .1064 = .29. I can't figure out how to set .29 on the stick. I also think this .29 is incorrect. Help please I'm thoroughly confused.

Comments

• Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    The chart is crap. Buy a scale. Calibrate with that.

That said, .3cc of Bullseye is indeed about 2.7 grains. Which would involve a setting of two lines above zero on the stick an additional 7/10 of a turn past that, reading the micrometer setting on the dial. In theory. If I remember right. I haven't worried about the setting on the bar in ages since I got the scale. Even a cheap digital would be fine as a check.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The charts are just an approximation.
    Set the micrometer to .29 and weigh the charge.
    My guess is it will be off in the underweight direction.
    Experiment from that starting point dumping two charges before weighing each try.
    Since it's a PITA, record the setting when you get 2.7 gr.
  • Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,191 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The chart gets you in the ballpark, and the scale gets you on target. I hope you have better luck than me with consistency though.
  • Options
    NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The system works well, but I agree, use a scale to calibrate. Once you get the setting, record it.

However, whenever you change batches of powder, you need to double check the charge--the powder densities may vary.

The adjustable micrometer works much better than the autodisks...since you can adjust them to get an exact charge.

Good luck with your calibration.
  • Options
    pirate2501pirate2501 Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys - got it set and weighed each charge - a perfect 2.7 each time [:)]
  • Options
    gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are many variations on how people got to their method of 'calibrating' their powder dumper for their sweet load. The sane ones involve a scale ( $25.00 will do it.) The key is turning out consistent ammo. I'm not worried if my powder dumper gives me 23.3 gr or 23.1 grains of IMR4227, as long as it IS THE SAME every time . Using bulkier, case full powders makes this easier for me, and I'll usually use them, but not always.

The more things you can make consistent, the happier you will be with the results. E N J O Y ! !
  • Options
    noyljnoylj Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The weight thrown is determined by the bulk density of the powder and how it has been compacted in the measure.
    You should certainly learn how to read the "stick" so you can set it correctly. Throw 10 charges to settle the powder (and toss them back in the measure) and then toss 10 charges, weight them together, divide by 10, and get the average weight being thrown.
    You can then determine both the gn/cc and the cc/gn. Record that and you will be very cloase to what any cc setting will throw with that lot of powder.
    I keep track of all my weights-to-cc so I can quickly get the charge I want.
    Note: there are not more than a handful of rifles, if any, that can tell a difference between 23.3 and 23.1gn. Most won't see a difference between 23.5 and 23.0gn.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just purchased and set up the Perfect Powder measure, and tried out Unique, Power Pistol, and WIN 231. It set up very easily on my bench top, next to my Lee Classic Turret Press. I did 100 test loads of each powder. I did singles, then loaded five shots at once, and averaged, and then loaded ten shots and averaged.

For PP and 231, it was SPOT on. I definitely will use it to fill up my shells. Measuring 6.1 grains of PP, I got 6.1 every time. When doing shots of 10, I would get 61 grains +/-.3 grains. Very good. For 231, I measured out 3.4 grains, and again had perfect success.

For Unique, I had 2 or 3 out of 100 test runs that were .2 grains off, and that's just not good enough. I find Unique to be a tough one, so when I load my .45 acp, I use the RCBS chargemaster to dispense 6.2 grains. It's a little slower, but I get more accurate loads. For my 9mm and .380, the Perfect Powder measure is REALLY going to be a timesaver.

I did find I had to tap the dispenser after every shot...to make sure I got every grain. Once I did that, it was very accurate. It's just something you have to do. No biggie.
  • Options
    noyljnoylj Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would argue. +/- 0.2gn is quite adequate for most any powder, except R-1 and N310, unless you are loading less than 2gn and you are loading at the maximum for your gun. Unique has been used for over 100 years without any problems and producing outstanding accuracy--and for most of those years, it was ONLY loaded by volume and nobody worried too much about the weight variation.
    You may not be satisfied, but I have been quite satisfied with +/- 0.3gn of Unique for over 35 years.
    I have not found any volumetric powder measure that can dispense Unique any better. As Richard Lee says, "Unique meters indifferently."
    The only way I know to get more accurate metering is to use a trickler or buy a powder dispenser like the ChargeMaster.
    The PPM is a truly outstanding powder measure that feels like junk.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by noylj
    I would argue. +/- 0.2gn is quite adequate for most any powder, except R-1 and N310, unless you are loading less than 2gn and you are loading at the maximum for your gun. Unique has been used for over 100 years without any problems and producing outstanding accuracy--and for most of those years, it was ONLY loaded by volume and nobody worried too much about the weight variation.
    You may not be satisfied, but I have been quite satisfied with +/- 0.3gn of Unique for over 35 years.
    I have not found any volumetric powder measure that can dispense Unique any better. As Richard Lee says, "Unique meters indifferently."
    The only way I know to get more accurate metering is to use a trickler or buy a powder dispenser like the ChargeMaster.
    The PPM is a truly outstanding powder measure that feels like junk.

Let me get this straight...you're going to ARGUE with me because my tolerances are not yours? That's rather arrogant, Sir. You load your way, I'll load mine. If you are happy with .3 grain accuracy, you fire away. As I stated, I will dispense Unique directly from my dispenser/scale. But thanks for that history lesson.

The LEE Perfect Powder Measure gives me .1 grain with my other two pistol powders, so that's what I'll use it for. I wouldn't presume to tell YOU how to load your ammo.
  • Options
    e3mrke3mrk Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a Scale to set the Powder Measure and go from there.