In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.17 mach 4 vs .17 fireball

MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,971 ******
customer has a .17 mach 4, wants a .17 f.b. will a .17 f.b. reamer 'clean up' the .17 mach 4 chamber?.........ya, I know 2 peas in the same pod but thats what he wants. (ruger #1 btw)

Comments

• nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mike,

Tell him to have at it as is:

I've run 17FB brass through my 17M4 FL die and it chambered just fine. Used the same Competition Case Holder so the headspace was the same, and had at it. The major difference is that the 17M4 from 221FB or 223 brass is just more expensive.

17fbverses17m4bmp.jpg

You will notice a couple of small differences in the dimensions but the chambers are essentially the same. The neck is a little shorter and the shoulder is a little fatter on the Fireball. If you have any reservations at all call Dave Kiff at Pacific Tool and Gauge for the headspace gauge dimensions. That will finally convince your customer.

Best.

ADDED:

I think there are three ways to look at this:

- Explain that there is really no difference between the two chambers to justify spending the money.

- Set his barrel up and run the Fireball reamer into the chamber hoping for a tiny little bit of cleanup in the shoulder area and charge him accordingly.

- Set his barrel up, set it back one thread and cut the amended chamber. This will guarantee some cleanup and will even renew his throat a touch. This will mandate some more machine work on the tenon which will add to the cost.

Sometimes folks just need to spend some money...

Best.