In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Is my .223 rifle chamber overly long?

Mort4570Mort4570 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
I hand seated a cartridge case with bullet in it in my rifle's chamber,and I have at least .030 to play with...the chamber is that much longer than the oal shown in the books for .223 rounds. Is this much extra room 'normal'? my Rossi is not very accurate and I"m wondering if this could attribute to that..that and me not being the world's best shooter.
I am unable to ever get a 1" ,3 shot group at 50 yards,heck,even 2" is a rarity. I know,rossi's suck,but I"m hoping...

Comments

• Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://ar15barrels.com/data/223vs556.pdf
    In short. if your barrel is a 5.56. nato. Chamber, the free bore is about right. Not citing this a fact but my suspicion.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    the barrel is stamped .223,but the dimensions sure match up with 5.56. Howver,i'll continue to load to .223 specs as far as powder load just to play safe.May try to load longer bullets and see what it does or does not accomplish.
    thanks FrancF
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you trying to load so the bullets are closer to the lands? In a single shot, that's no problem as long as you don't get the bullet stuck in the rifling. Loading "longer bullets" is not the answer. Loading the rounds to a longer OAL might be. Depending on the rifling twist, loading longer/heavier bullets might make accuracy worse. I had a customer who raved about the accuracy of his Rossi rifles and the one we have now is no slouch with properly loaded ammo.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mort4570
    the barrel is stamped .223,but the dimensions sure match up with 5.56. Howver,i'll continue to load to .223 specs as far as powder load just to play safe.May try to load longer bullets and see what it does or does not accomplish.
    thanks FrancF

This is outside of my manufacturing expertise/knowledge too be 110%, Correct. What I do know, .223/5.56 Import stamps can be misleading.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Mobuck ,by 'longer bullets' I meant longer oal,sorry about the choice of words.My Rossi is not very accurate and i'm trying to see if I can change that by trying various things.
    It has a 1 in 12 twist,fyi.