In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Trail Boss powder

peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
Any one who is looking for a bulky pistol powder should try the new IMR Trail Boss powder. I have been looking for a powder to use in low pressure cartridges such as 38 S&W that was origonaly a black powder cartridge. This is the best thing I found so far. I have being trying it out lately with good results. This stuff is so light and bulky, it is almost like loading talcum powder. It flows well in a powder measure. I use a Hornady measure with brass bushings for most of my pistol loading. I noted that the bushing that is 4.4 gr of 231, is 1.6 gr of Trail Boss.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Anyone have a starting load for this powder using 500 grain lead bullets for a Springfield Trapdoor?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How is Trail Boss powder for lead bullets in 45lc? Thjanks
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It might be fine, if all you want are low-velocity plinking loads. I tried TB recently and ended up giving away most of the jug. The only decent load I found was with the 44 Special. Loads in 38 Special, 41 Special and 45 Colt were disappointing. Poor accuracy and sometimes huge velocity spreads were the rule.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    It might be fine, if all you want are low-velocity plinking loads. I tried TB recently and ended up giving away most of the jug. The only decent load I found was with the 44 Special. Loads in 38 Special, 41 Special and 45 Colt were disappointing. Poor accuracy and sometimes huge velocity spreads were the rule.

Thanks for the insight. Have you tried it with any bottleneck cartridges?
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nope. I got rid of the jug before I could try it in my 30-30.

BTW, in the handgun rounds I tested the "best" load using TB came with the case filled right to the base of the seated bullet, but NOT compressed. I measured the bullet shank below the crimp line, then scribed a line at that distance inside a case. I filled the case to that line or a squinch under and weighed whatever that came to. That was my load.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    papernickerpapernicker Member Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love TB in my two .357's. Its at under max at 3.7gr. It was not too good at 3.9 and/or with WC's.

cheers Rocky
  • Options
    03lover03lover Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I tried the Trail Boss in my 38 Spl and 357 mag revolves and accuracy was poor with several different bullets.

I have had great luck with my 45 Colt Rugers using 185 grain SWC, 200 grain RNFP, 230 grain RNFP and 260 gran RNFP bullets.

Powder charges from 4.5 grains to 6.5 grains with the 185 gr. SWC all shot well and some shot one ragged hole groups. The same was true for the other bullets as well.

I also found the Trail Boss worked well in my 44 Mag. Ruger with a 245 grain Keith disign bullet. It wasn't hard to find a load that could shoot one ragged hole groups.

My experience has been the Trail Boss works well in the larger caliber cartridges and not anything below the 44 caliber.

Trail Boss is intended for low to mid-range loads and will not produce the upper end velocities.
  • Options
    1fisher1fisher Member Posts: 1,012 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had pretty good results using Trail Boss in my old Danish rolling block. It is the 8x58R Danish Krag round, and I get about 1400 to 1450 fps with a 215 grain cast bullet. Accuracy is decent.

As mentioned with the pistol rounds, I get the best results with the case filled up to just under the seated bullet depth.
  • Options
    longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've made some great plinking rounds in my 30-30 with Trail Boss at 17-19 grains & a 160 grain lead bullet.