In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

It's finally time.................

I began reloading in the early 70's. I quit from 1983 to 2006, and resumed my love of reloading.
Here's my problem. My reloading manual is a Sierra Bullet manual from the early 70's. Since it only list about 7 different handgun powders I was only using it for each round's dimensions. I use the latest download info from the powder suppliers for everything else.
I loaded some 230gr hardball for my M&P45. The old Sierra manual stated the OAL of the round to be 1.275". When I began loading my mags I discovered that this OAL was too long, and the rounds were going in the mag but jamming. I went to my powder mfg OAL and it listed the OAL as 1.200". This is quite a difference! When I load the 230gr bullet deep enough to get a 1.200" OAL, the bullet is seated way to deep into the case mouth. I reloaded them to 1.22", and they feed into the mags just fine.
My wife said my problem was using a 40 year old reloading manual. I realize there is a lot more info in the new manuals, but I never thought the OAL would be so radically different.
Now I need a consenous; which reloading manual should I purchase? I only load handgun rounds. PLEASE help!

Comments

• Options
    ToolfogieToolfogie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I got my SIG I bought a box of Winchester 230 grain hardball to use while I was waiting for my 45 dies. They had a OAL of 1.272 and loaded and shot just fine.
    I like Lyman's 49th and the One Book-One Caliber books also.
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have several.

I usually use the info from the bullet manufacturer.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,197 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here are the rules, according to me:

Use the bullet maker's data as your primary source. Different bullets can have a pronounced effect on loads, even with bullets of the same weight.

Use the powder maker's data as your secondary source. Powder makers generally test several different bullets and print loads that gave the highest pressure. So their loads should be safe with most other bullets of the same weight.

Use the current Lyman book as your arbiter in case of a large difference between the bullet and powder makers' data. Lyman lab tests different powders with several bullets, both jacketed and cast.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1.275 is the MAX OAL with a 230 gr bullet. Bullets of less weight (shorter) are loaded to lesser OAL. I would try factory or military 230 gr Full Metal Jacket cartridges. If they do not feed and function then you have a pistol problem. If they do feed and function then you have a reloading problem. There is nothing that says you cannot seat the bullets a little deeper than the MAX OAL to aid in feeding, if required. However, deep seated pistol bullets raise pressure significantly, as I understand it.
    The Lyman Reloading Handbook is my first choice of book. It is very informative and lists many different loads.
  • Options
    midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by navc130
    1.275 is the MAX OAL with a 230 gr bullet. Bullets of less weight (shorter) are loaded to lesser OAL. I would try factory or military 230 gr Full Metal Jacket cartridges. If they do not feed and function then you have a pistol problem. If they do feed and function then you have a reloading problem. There is nothing that says you cannot seat the bullets a little deeper than the MAX OAL to aid in feeding, if required. However, deep seated pistol bullets raise pressure significantly, as I understand it.

Nailed it.

Another tip is to find factory ammo that you know is reliable and accurate in your gun and measure the OAL of those. Then you'll have an idea of where to start seating as you reload. In my 1911, the max OAL feeds just fine and functions in the magazines with no problems. However, when the slide goes into battery, it jams the bullet so far into the lands that if you try to eject a live round, it will yank the case and spill powder everywhere while leaving the bullet stuck in the barrel. If I NEVER had to eject a live round, I would be fine. But since sometimes I like to unload my pistols for various reasons [:0] the max OAL doesn't work for me.

Different guns and different magazines will all have their own "max" OAL. You can either go off of factory ammo that you know works, or you can use dummy rounds to determine the longest OAL that will function for you. Then load, test, adjust, and repeat until you find what makes you happy.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 1.275" MAXIMUM overall for .45 ACP can normally be reached or even approached only with the elliptical nosed bullet of real GI hardball. Nearly all others will be shorter, some a lot shorter.

If you cannot get a spoon fed recipe, you must determine the appropriate OAL for yourself. Adjust bullet seating depth until a round will chamber. A dummy round in the barrel clean and out of the gun is the safe way. Then see if it will fit the magazine. Adjust as required to make it fit the gun. Then load some up and see if they feed, fire, and function.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with Hawk Carse. The OAL means nothing when you change bullet shapes. You have to seat the bullets to the depths that they clear the lands when loaded into the chamber. That means finding where each bullet hits the lands or end of the magazine, and then backing off.

So, for each bullet you use in a pistol take the powder you want and start at minimum. Run a ladder up to see what pressure you like the case at, pull the highest cartridges and use them to put together the best overall load with the powder and bullet you just tested.
  • Options
    partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all for the advice!!!!![8D][8D]
  • Options
    uni82uni82 Member Posts: 416 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I put a dowel in the barrel with the action close and make a mark on the dowel at the barrel end.

Then I open the action and put a bullet (not loaded or anything, just the bullet pill) inside the chamber with my finger and hold it there. Send the dowel back into the barrel and make another mark. That is the over all length. (measuring the two marks). I back off about .005 or .010. I'm at 1.255 for 45acp. Fits in the chamber and in the mags. No feeding or jamming problems.

This is for a Kimber 1911 .45 in a 5" barrel.

I use the New hornady 8th edition for all my reloading right now. I am very impressed with hornady products. I also counter reference with my old 70's sierra reloading manual, a 60's speer reloading manual and the internet.

For overall lengths I use a website called

http://www.loaddata.com/home/index.cfm

They have a subscription side. But if you look up a load, they will have the schematic of the round and all its measurements. If you are a guest to the website, you cannot access all the reloading details (powder charges, primer choices etc) but a great reference for cartridge dimensions.

Thought I'd add my .02!

-Joe
  • Options
    midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by uni82
    I put a dowel in the barrel with the action close and make a mark on the dowel at the barrel end.

Then I open the action and put a bullet (not loaded or anything, just the bullet pill) inside the chamber with my finger and hold it there. Send the dowel back into the barrel and make another mark. That is the over all length. (measuring the two marks). I back off about .005 or .010. I'm at 1.255 for 45acp. Fits in the chamber and in the mags. No feeding or jamming problems.

This is for a Kimber 1911 .45 in a 5" barrel.

I use the New hornady 8th edition for all my reloading right now. I am very impressed with hornady products. I also counter reference with my old 70's sierra reloading manual, a 60's speer reloading manual and the internet.

For overall lengths I use a website called

http://www.loaddata.com/home/index.cfm

They have a subscription side. But if you look up a load, they will have the schematic of the round and all its measurements. If you are a guest to the website, you cannot access all the reloading details (powder charges, primer choices etc) but a great reference for cartridge dimensions.

Thought I'd add my .02!

Hey! That's a great idea. I think even I can handle that! Thanks!

-Joe