In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

coyote huntin'

A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well if the weather gets out of the 20's this weekend I plan on goin, doesn't look promising lol. Any of you been seein any? Saw one back in december about 12 yards.

Comments

• Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A gun... I'll trade you temps. We are praying for 20's here. It is topped out today at -6 today. They are predicting -26 for tonight.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    haha man that sucks. I went out today shot and missed one, then tried to swing on another one but he busted me. Saw two and neither are deceased [xx(]
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    went out with a couple of buddies this afternoon for late season, doe only. friggin' burr.

Ben
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    I bet Ben. The county which I live, Moultrie, Was not on the "Late Season" gig. So Will and I get to eat his youth, firearms, and one of my firearms permits. When I took Will to the bus for the 7th grade regional basketball tourney at 8:15 this morning it was 5 out. At 3 it had warmed up to a whopping 12. If our county was open for the late season hunt we would go out tomorrow. I have hunted Crawford county for the last 3 years for the late season hunt. It has always been a blast. We do mostly drives on it and the people that live down there are great. They got hammered with the EHD this year with their farm and that of neighbors having @ 50 dead deer lying around. We figured we would let it rest for a year.
  • Options
    DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is a yote I got back in December. About 250 yards with my 25-06 BAR. I tanned it myself. It turned out pretty good for my first attempt.

Yote.jpg
    tannedyoder.jpg
  • Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DONDALINGER
    Here is a yote I got back in December. About 250 yards with my 25-06 BAR. I tanned it myself. It turned out pretty good for my first attempt.

Yote.jpg
    tannedyoder.jpg

That turned out great, Don!

I am trying to set up a hunt for next weekend in TN. A good friend of mine (the one that shot that huge turkey this past spring) saw a bunch of them up there during deer season, so we are going to go up and help the turkeys a little.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    great yote' I missed at 60 yards...DOH
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I was going to go this morning and overslept. Had my clothes, gun and calls by the door ready to go. Don't wait for the temps out of the 20s, you'll probably see more with cooler temps.

Don what did you use to tan it? I would like to try one myself sometime.
  • Options
    DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

I bought a kit from Gander Mt. for $25. It will tan 2 deer or several coyotes, fox ect.. It is not hard to do. The hardest part is skinning the animal. After it is skinned, you tack it to a piece of plywood. After that you flesh it with a fleshing tool that comes in the kit. Then you apply a paste to the hide for 3 days. The paste is made with "tanning crystals" and flour and water) You remove the paste and apply tanning oil. Dry it for a few days then sand it to break down the leather and it is done. It took about a week total and it was done. The kit comes with a book and detailed instructions and everything you need to do it.
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Thanks, I'm gonna give it a shot....if I get one worth tannin'.
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    I was going to go this morning and overslept. Had my clothes, gun and calls by the door ready to go. Don't wait for the temps out of the 20s, you'll probably see more with cooler temps.

AHHHHHH you woooosbag[:D]
  • Options
    Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    Thanks, I'm gonna give it a shot....if I get one worth tannin'.

Bang is it legal to hunt yotes in Illinois with a rifle?

Don way to go!!!!!