In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

32-20 HV Revisited/History

breakerdanbreakerdan Member Posts: 364 ✭✭✭
Recently, there have been several forums regarding information
on the .32-20 WHV. I have long been a .32-20 enthusiast
and collect old .32-20 cartridges as well. Here is some information
that some may find interesting.

History:
According to Cartridge of the World, high velocity loads debuted between 1900-1910. The earliest example of 32-20 WHVs
I have seen date to the 1920s. There are 2 different high vel. loadings of the 32-20. One was the usual 80 grain "open expanding point" and a seldom seen 115 jacketed soft point. I have not seen 115 grain soft point from after WW2. The 80 grain load was made from the 1920s until the late 1960s. Remington marked them as "Hi Speed"
and Winchester marked them High Velocity or Super Speed.

Technical Data on old cartridges: test gun 1894 Marlin 22inch barrel
Pressure has been rumored to be in the 20,000 range.
Velocity: I chronographed an original 32-20 Winchester HV, from a 1946 Winchester box, fired out of the 22'' barrel Marlin 1894 at
2005 fps. In contrast, a 1950s vintage 100 grain standard pressure Western Lubaloy coated 32-20 chronographed at 1239fps. A modern Remington 100 grain lead flat nose went 1190 fps.

Headstampings:
Winchester 1940s vintage: Super-Speed 32-20WHV
Western 1960s vintage: Super-X 32-20WHV

These rounds should not be used in 1873 Winchester rifles
of any vintage and should be kept out of pistols. Many disagree on the safety of their use in revolvers and were not advertised to be used in them. I know of one individual who messed up a Colt Police Positive by firing HVs in them. I have personally fired them from a
Single Action Army Colt and liked them. Do this at your own risk
but if you put them in any pistol you are asking for trouble- they are also VERY loud. Elmer Keith believed the SAA could take them by stating that the SAA was capable of 1500 fps. But we all know Elmer loosened up a few guns in his day. The moral of this story is basically keep them out of pistols and '73s. Really no need to ruin
good old guns. I wasn't worried about messing up my SAA because it is a new one and the quality and value is not to the level of the 1st gens.

I wish 32-20 HVs were still made, but they can easily be handloaded to equal the old cartridges.
The 80 grain OPE (hollowpoint) is truly a fast expanding varmint bullet and those I have recovered showed dramatic expansion to over 2x the original diameter. I have tried a few on feral hogs of around 50 pounds and they went down fast. Expansion and penetration was good. Would they work on deer? Within range of 75 yards and deer
of less than 125 pounds, I would definitely use it. The record whitetail several years back was taken with a 25-20 and we all know it is truly about shot placement.

The WHVs (loaded in 25-20,32-20,38-40 and 44-40) are now a footnote in firearms history. They filled the purpose of lengthening the range and improving trajectory and improving terminal performance.
There are certainly better rounds out there now, but in the end,
I will stick to the old stuff.

Fire back with any more 32-20 info.

Comments

• Options
    TimothyTimothy Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wonderfull article sir, since the majority of new guns in those calibers are of the antique design plus the drying up of originals I can understand their fading into history. But for the handloader with a win92 or marlin94 its nice to know their potential can still be achieved and HVL remebered.
  • Options
    aeonsciiaeonscii Member Posts: 97
    edited November -1
    Agreed, a number of older firearms would use 80 grain as apposed to the 100, likewise the 115 charge could expand into the chamber deforming load altogether. Typically brass rather than lead used with higher velocity ammo. Consult weights and measures?