In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

SASS .22?

WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
So I thought my ex-wife and I would get into CAS a couple years ago. We went to two matches, I bought a full set of guns and leather (Marlin 1894 .38 Spl, 2 Uberti Cattlemen .38 Spl, and a Stoeger Coach 12 ga.). Of course she flaked out and we never went back, and now we are getting divorced.

Anyway, I went to the Western States match this last weekend, mostly to advertise that I want to sell my guns and leather. But it got me kinda sad, because there really are a lot of nice folks involved in CAS. It is just so dang expensive.

Why doesn't SASS do .22 matches? I would totally buy a Marlin 39a and a Ruger Single Six. There could be some fun, fast-paced stages done with .22 guns. I think they would get a lot more new members and it would be much more practical given the current economy. After all, .22 guns are fun for more than just Buckaroos.

Comments

• Options
    longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We got together with some friends memorial weekend for some SASS shooting. We incorporated some .22's in our shoot. Some of the wives did not have a lot of shooting experience, & were a little intimidated by the larger calibers. We started with a couple of shoots that used .22 only. By the end of the weekend they were shooting all the guns quite well, in some cases out shot the guys. It was a lot of fun & added a lot of variety to the shoot.
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is a WONDERFUL idea! I shoot more .22's than anything else. Our club has SASS cowboy shoots and I've gone to help out but never to shoot. This would get me into it for sure!
  • Options
    Nite RyderNite Ryder Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm a SASS life member, maybe I can help with a few questions. I suspect SASS never recognized 22's for anyone except children because that wasn't what was used in the Old West or in the movies. SASS is a business owned by a group (5 or 6) of men known as the wild bunch. They probably were never concerned with the expense of buying two revolvers, one rifle (lever action or pump in pistol calibers), and one shot gun (Win 97 pump, SXS, or 87 Lever). SASS has rules regarding what firearms can be used, and most clubs abide by those rules because they are SASS affiliated. Most clubs have "side matches" where 22 rifles and revolvers can be used. But you won't see them in general use at a reginal shoot. Why don't you fellas that want to use 22's get your own group of people together and shoot your own matches? You could make your own rules. SASS won't change their rules, the majority of SASS members are happy with the rules as they are. At the last SASS Convention in Las Vegas they had an indoor match using wax bullets. I understand that was fun and went over well.