In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

safe loading technique?

muzzleloader-2muzzleloader-2 Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
I ran across this video on youtube of a shooter loading his double barrell flintlock pistol directly from the flask. I have always been under the impression that it is safer to use a measure when loading your black powder firearm.I was told or read some where that it only takes 600 degrees to ignite black powder. If this is true then all it would take is one smouldering ember in the barrell to ignite the new charge being poured down the barrell. Even though the shooter's flask has a cut off gate in the flask spout is it still possible if the powder in the spout were to ignite would it generate enough heat to ignite the powder in the flask? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muQVuEyMLCE

Comments

• rgergergerge Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Maxx424Maxx424 Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not a bad idea - A Really Bad Idea!
  • OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Maxx424
    Not a bad idea - A Really Bad Idea!

[:0] that is the way of the old

wasn't safe then still isn't safe today

I know a man that has had several constructive surgeries to rebuild his face after a powder charge went off as he poured it into a hot barrel, it went kaboom and melted his face nearly off!!!
    edited November -1
    I've had powder measures shoot from my hand like a bottle rocket!! WOW does that wake your * up!!
  • OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rgerge
    I've had powder measures shoot from my hand like a bottle rocket!! WOW does that wake your * up!!

Would mine!!!

just think were that would have ended up had you been staring down over the barrel, as was the guy I know

he now holds that muzzle as far away from his body as he can...

He always says if he could haul a piece of ballistic/flame resistance glass around with him to do it from behind he would
    edited November -1
    The star of the video is now selling his double barreled flintlock pistol, it is auction #113678647 on gunbroker and he is even advertising the youtube video. He can't cock the gun until he gets the bandages off, so he's selling.[;)]
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wanted to ask if there was any truth to the practice or if the alleged danger was an urban legend.
    Years back I did a lot of Sharps, underhammer rifle and revolver shooting and always loaded directly from the flask.
    185 gr rn semi-wadcutters, greased in the grease groove & sized for a friction fit in the cylinder, shot as accurately as any revolver.
    Now I want to try trap shooting with a percussion double and after reading this thread, am having second thoughts on loading it.
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,119 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    v35 before I load my double I make a fist over the end of the barrells and blow, if there is airflow out through the nipples, while it is not guarenteed it is likely there are no embers in barrel, I use mine to rabbitt hunt and do many quick reloads in this manner. still do NOT STAND DIRECTLY OVER THE BARRELL as you pour the powder.
    edited November -1
    unless you need a hair cut.
  • muzzleloader-2muzzleloader-2 Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is a link to some good black powder handeling practices as well as range safty. http://www.waiteparkrifleclub.com/blackpowder.htm#blackpowdersafety