In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

sabots

mwtownsendmwtownsend Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
Help me understand sabots. When looking at ads.. I see some that state 44-50 or 45-50. Does this mean they are 44 or 45 or what ever size bullets in a 50 cal. plastic jacket and are they common and are they accurate? Sorry for the lack of knowledge. Im trying to learn.
Any suggestions on which are best for hunting deer size game. What are some of yall's favorite bullets and powder loads for a inline?
Also i have read that 209 shot gun caps are to hot and i should search for special 209 muzzle loader caps?
thanks
mike t

Comments

• Options
    glockman40swglockman40sw Member Posts: 105 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can give you an example for one of my particular muzzleloaders which is a TC Omega 50 caliber inline. I shoot a 45-50 sabot. That means that the bullet is a 45 caliber (.452 diameter) and that the sabot (plastic piece that the bullet rests in) is a 50 caliber sabot. This combination is the right combination for my particular muzzleloader. Check your muzzleloader's book that came with the gun to see what the manufacturer recommends or check with your local gun shop.
    Federal, CCI, Remington and Winchester all make 209 primers specifically for muzzleloaders and they all claim to be better performers as far as ignition of blackpowder is concerned. As for the 209 primer you need to read your booklet that came along with your rifle and see if the manufacturer makes any recommendation as to which 209 primers you should or should not be using. One of my inlines recommends using one type of 209 primer while the other muzzleloader doesn't make any recommendations at all.
    As far as loads go I use 100 grains of Jim Shockey Gold (american pioneer powder) and a 240gr TC XTP bullet in my TC 50 caliber inline.