In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

colt versus remington for accuracy

muzzleloader-2muzzleloader-2 Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
Is there a technique for setting up a colt revolver to obtain maximum accuracy? I have heard that if you maintain .002 between the barrel cone and cylinder face ( using a feeler gauge ) you can get more consistant groups. The remington revolvers have no barrel wedge to deal with and seem ( at least to me )to be the more accurate revolver. It would be nice to hear from some of you competition shooters on how to set up a colt for maximum accuracy.

Comments

• Options
    D.DelozierD.Delozier Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For me, My Remington replicas are far more accurate than any of my Colt replicas and by a big margine.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Thats very true, I learned to use a feeler gauge to set the head space on Colts, keeps them consistent. Theres no amount of tricks to make a Colt shoot like a Remington tough.
    For what it's worth.
    W.D.
  • Options
    muzzleloader-2muzzleloader-2 Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CapnMidnight
    Thats very true, I learned to use a feeler gauge to set the head space on Colts, keeps them consistent. Theres no amount of tricks to make a Colt shoot like a Remington tough.
    For what it's worth.
    W.D.
    what spacing do you use? .002 seems a bit snug to me.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    .005-.008 worked for me.
    W.D.
  • Options
    44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The trick to accurizing Colt pattern revolvers lies in the cylinder arbor. Most of the arbors on repros are too short. It needs to make solid contact with the bottom of the hole in the barrel shroud. For a match pistol, we have removed the arbor, welded extra material to the end, turned it down round, then carefully fit it to the barrel, using a file to remove a little off the end of the arbor till it just seats against the bottom of the frame. I have a .36 1861 Navy that will shoot one hole groups at 15 yards all day and a Uberti '60 Army that will shoot about 1 1/4 inch groups. There is also some proper tuning of the wedge to be done. More details in the book, Gunsmithing Black Powder Firearms, I can't recall the author just now.
    That being said, it's a lot of work to get a Colt to shoot as well as an out of the box Remington, but it is possible.