In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I need some advice

dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
Ok. I'm new to the game. I already bow hunt and shoot my rifle a lot. Now I'm looking to get a muzzleloader. I want to get a new in-line and am looking strongly at the CVA Kodiak Magnum. Is this a good rifle? Is there anything else I should be looking at? I know I can't use the Savage or any other that shoots smokeless powder here in MN for hunting.
Thanks
Joe

Comments

• k_townmank_townman Member Posts: 3,588
    edited November -1
    If you want to have the true muzzleloading experience, this is the rifle you want.
    [img][/img]lymannew2december2004.jpg

Someone will be along shortly to inform you about "city slicker" muzzleloaders.
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by k_townman
    If you want to have the true muzzleloading experience, this is the rifle you want.

I know.... the in-lines are not the traditional type. I am looking for a rifle just for hunting. Years ago I hunted with an old side lock. It was fun, but now I am looking for more performance.
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Hawken Percussion cap long gun and a T/C Omega 50. Both are great shooters! For hunting I always use the T/C Omega 50 ... it shoots just like a rifle and is totally reliable in any weather and it is very accurate when using saboted bullets. The Hawken ... well, it's fun to shoot and for BP Shoots at the club and messing around it is my "go-to-gun"!
  • k_townmank_townman Member Posts: 3,588
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcso3009
    quote:Originally posted by k_townman

I know.... the in-lines are not the traditional type. I am looking for a rifle just for hunting. Years ago I hunted with an old side lock. It was fun, but now I am looking for more performance.

You want more performance? Get a 30/30. [;)]
  • mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lyman Great Plains Rifle! Accept no substitutes!
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would tell you all about my Savage, what a deer killer, but verboten by the dumb * that make rules in your state.

I mean, if you're gonna allow an Omega with a scope, you ought to allow a Savage.
    Although I do agree with the traditionalist guys, the special muzzleloading season ought to be for traditional guns only.

To make up for my advantage during muzzleloading season, I hunt all the time with my Savage .50, and I have a scoped Mauser sporter in 30-06 that I leave in the gun rack during hunting season.
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gun has been purchased. CVA Optima Pro. Actually 2 of them. I'm taking an active military Blackhawk pilot hunting before he deploys again so I picked up one for him as well.