In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I'm done with Pyrodex for Muzzleloaders

~Mr. Colt .45~~Mr. Colt .45~ Member Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
It is the most dirty crap ever. After 8 shots out of my CVA Optima muzzleloader I couldnt get my bullet to seat all the way down on top of the powder, and then the bullet got stuck in the barrel and took me about 10 min to get it out. It also took me about an hour to clean it all out of the barrel and its left a perminet crusty ring on the inside of my barrel. I just bought some Triple 7 and shot it today, that stuff is a whole lot cleaner and I like it so much more. I was shooting 100grs. of powder with a .275gr. Powerbelt Platinum. Not to bad of a group at 100yrds.

Comments

• Options
    dandak1dandak1 Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the opposite experience. LOVE it!! I see you posted this on the general question forum so I posted my results there. I often wonder how 2 people using the same product can have so different results! I wonder if in our case it is due to humidity?? I live in very humid Ohio and pyrodex fouling is non existant for me, have done 30 straight shots with it without any difference between the 2nd shot and the 30th shot. With black powder I only get 2 before the gun is OUT OF COMMISION due to fouling. What is the humidity like where you live? Did you seat the projectile FIRMLY? Pyrodex burns better with a little compression (not a lot, but some).
  • Options
    ~Mr. Colt .45~~Mr. Colt .45~ Member Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dandak1
    I have the opposite experience. LOVE it!! I see you posted this on the general question forum so I posted my results there. I often wonder how 2 people using the same product can have so different results! I wonder if in our case it is due to humidity?? I live in very humid Ohio and pyrodex fouling is non existant for me, have done 30 straight shots with it without any difference between the 2nd shot and the 30th shot. With black powder I only get 2 before the gun is OUT OF COMMISION due to fouling. What is the humidity like where you live? Did you seat the projectile FIRMLY? Pyrodex burns better with a little compression (not a lot, but some).

dandak1,
    I dont think its due to the humidity. the problem im having is that it is just really dirty. I know that there is cleaner buring stuff out there, like 777. Pyrodex is great stuff im not bashing it, i am just not going to shoot it anymore because i dont want to have to clean up that gummy stuff anymore. When cleaning, it gets down in my working parts of my gun and makes me worried that stuff will start to stick, like lets say the hammer. My gun is nickel/black stock and atuographed by jim shockey and the nickle gets the black gummy stuff all over it that i can't seem to get off with nitro solvent, i think i need to try black powder solvent instead.

DSCN1353.jpg
  • Options
    timhill100timhill100 Member Posts: 1,133 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i guess it depends on the rifle i think the moder inlines use pyrdox or the pellets, im sticking with reg ole black powder ffg, works great in my renegade and newenglander both are older guns 10 + years or better
  • Options
    44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well you can mark me down with the Pyrodex haters. I find it much worse than real black powder. The fouling is terrible and it eats up brass in cartridge loads and rusts my guns terribly if I don't clean it up immediately.
    I almost exclusively use real BP now. If I use a sub I use APP or Jim Shockey's Gold.
  • Options
    broncodavebroncodave Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have only had problems with 777 in ff in a nickel barrel as well(cva optima as well 295 bullet and 90grains of 777 )but verry good luck with fff in a ss barrel on a lyman deerstalker i use app in the cva and love it it is just a back up gun now...i use the fff in a ruger old army ss with no problems as well
  • Options
    mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All you front stuffers will have far fewer problems if you would just wipe the bore with one soaked patch with alcohol and then a dry one between shots, it only takes a few seconds - accuracy will be much improved as will the loading.
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Me too - done with Pyrodex - a friend gave me a bottle and I used it, but I'm back with Hogdgon 777. I think it is the best BP substitute.