In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

can I leave 777 unshot in a barrel??

coniferconifer Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
Must I shoot the loaded rifle smae day as loading it???...or can I leave the rifle loaded (using 777) with perc. cap removed .....for a day or 2?
Any chance of bore corrosion if left loaded????
THANKS!!!
Alex
aax1@bellsouth.net

Comments

• Options
    broncodavebroncodave Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have carried a loaded 50. cal bp with 777 for a week in colorado with no problems. my gun was clean when started. and as long as it was clean when you loade it i dont see a problem the corrosion sets in after it has been fired
  • Options
    dandak1dandak1 Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I dont know about 777, but as a test i once loaded 5 cylinders in my Colt navy with pyrodex P, left it sitting uncapped in the basement for 1 month (locked up and with a "warning loaded" sign on it), then took it out, capped it and fired it...every charge went off as if I just loaded it. During deer muzzleloader season, I often load my 50 cal rifle up with pyrodex RS and take it in and out of the house for a week (I take the percussion cap off when I bring it in the house and store it locked up with another "warning loaded" sign on it). Have gone all week in december like this, and when I had to fire it, it went off as intended. There was no corrosion in either gun from doing this and I live in humid Ohio. 777 is a different beast, I shoot it but have never done any long term storing tests with it.
  • Options
    coniferconifer Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks, guys!!!
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No problem. I leave mine loaded from November to January and then if I have not shot it, pull the bullet and dump the powder. Run a patch through it with Hoppes #9 and follow up with oil. Good till next year.
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    No problem. I leave my Omega 50 loaded with 777 pellets for the whole deer season (a month). Unless I unload it on a deer ... which is the plan for this year!

Just take out the primer and it is not considered loaded here in Massachusetts. I always tag it so that I know the powder is in the barrel. I put tape or a balloon over the business end of the barrel. If I hunted in pouring rain, I might discharge it over at the range just as a precaution so that it does not mess me up when I'm hunting.

Also, you should check your state regulations on the matter.

Bonne Chasse!
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My friend just found his Omega loaded with 777 that was put away by his friend last year! It fired just fine. Unfortunately his friend had fired, and re-loaded it and left it that way. The bore is ruined.
  • Options
    mh1gsmh1gs Member Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with all the others except for one thing I didn't see mentioned. I also carry mined charged for a week or so but I try to keep it in the same temperature range. I won't take mine into the house where it is much warmer because I don't want condensation forming on or in the barrel.