In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

patch or wad packing hard soft

1shotcleaner1shotcleaner Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
i have ben using patches on bals or nothing on conicals. how do you guys feel about wads? and i just wanted to say that my new to me tc flint shoots fast ,faster than some of my inlines with pellets. i am suprised. im also wondering about the whole packing thing? pack it tight so the rod bounces? or push it down untill it stops and thats it?

Comments

• Options
    mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't bounce the rod! this is my method for most accurate load. Pour in the powder, slap side of rifle to make sure powder settles into touch hole. Then I use a dry lubed over powder wad pushed down to contact the powder. Now seat the patched ball (TC prelubed patch) or full patch lubed bullet with a firm push on the powder of 25 lbs. Don't bounce the rod like you see them do on tv, it distorts the projectile and ruins accuracy. I also swab with a wet alcohol patch and a dry patch between shots - my round ball hawken shoots 2 minutes of angle for 10 shots.
  • Options
    1shotcleaner1shotcleaner Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i think that just pushing is more accurate. just wanted to know what some others thought.as for the slap or tap to get the powder in the hole i always do that even in a side lock. the wad over powder than load projectile even when using a patched ball? ill give it a try.