In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

45 Cal.

G550G550 Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
I've got a 45 cal. rifle that I've never fired. I cleaned the gun well and would like to give it a wirl; however, The balls do not fit down the barrel. Really, really tight...so tight that it would take a hammer to get down the barrel. Any ideas???

Comments

• Options
    bobbyrose512bobbyrose512 Member Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What size ball are you using? In mine I use a.445 ball with .015 pillow tick patch.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,229 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you using a patch with the ball?
    You have to use a patch.
    The balls come in different diameters, the ones you are using are too big.
    You need a "short starter" to start the ball, it is a round 2 inch wooden ball, with a 1/2 inch dowel rod on it.
    You set that dowel rod on top of the ball, which is on top of the patch, and you smack the short starter with the palm of your hand.
    This starts the ball down the bore and engraves it to the rifling.
    Then, there is a 4 inch dowel sticking out the other side of the short starter, you shove the ball 4 inches down the barrel with that, then you use the ramrod.
  • Options
    44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you have balls in the .451 - .454 range they are too big. Also, what make or type of rifle is this? We need way more info to help you.