In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Black powder cleaning.

excavmanexcavman Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
Several years back a friend told me about a home made cleaning solution for black powder shooters. It's a three part mix of equal portions of rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, and Murphy's Oil Soap. It works great, even boils the cap and powder residue from the nipple area leaving it nice and clean. Doesn't smell all that bad either.

Comments

• Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    If it don't smell bad it ain't good.[:D]
    W.D.
  • Options
    Fletcher PastoreFletcher Pastore Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use this mixture myself. It works very well. Just be sure to oil the gun immediately after using it or you will see rust. The alchohol pulls all of the oil out of the metal. Also be careful about getting it on the wood.
  • Options
    Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've always just used the hottest water I can stand to put my hand in and whatever dish washing liquid my wife has next to the sink.

Sometimes simple is better.

Bode
  • Options
    ken44-40ken44-40 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I quit using this mix years ago when I ruined a set of revolver nipples. I let them soak in some of the mix while I cleaned the rest of the revolver. Got called away & when I returned to finish the clean-up a couple hours later, the nipples were completely covered in rust.

The mix of Hydrogen Peroxide, alcohol, and Murphy's soap mix can damage your BP guns.

Hydrogen Peroxide is H2O2 - a strong oxidizer - e.g. will cause steel to rust.

Alcohol will dilute the oil and draw it out of the pores of the metal.

The Murphy's is a soap - a surfactant that will allow the dirt, grime, and oil to be removed from the metal.

If you insist on using the Murphy's mix, you cannot let it soak for any period of time and must replenish the oil removed in the cleaning process.

A mix of Balistol and water will clean as well - if not better, and will displace the water with a paraffin based compound that will keep the metal well lubricated and rust free.
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    I'm waiting on a Shopping expedition to get the Shark Steamer that ROCKY RAAB mentioned - sounded like just what I need for cleaning out the ol' smokepole!
  • Options
    elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Winston Bode

I've always just used the hottest water I can stand to put my hand in and whatever dish washing liquid my wife has next to the sink.

Sometimes simple is better.

Bode
    [:D][:D][:D] Ed
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Windex with viniger works for me. Wipe dry and oil well.
  • Options
    mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    for 35 years I have used straight alcohol - then oil - no problems ever and it's fast. KISS