In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

51/2 VS 71/2 " barrel lenght I am stuck

trainman115trainman115 Member Posts: 119 ✭✭
Can any one help me I am going to buy a revelver but I dont know which is better a 5 1/2 inch barrel or a 7 1/2 inch barrel I like them both I am going to target shoot and hunt with it I know its going to be in 45 long colt any help will be greatly appreciated, Does anyone know what the barrel lenght was that the cowboys used ?
Thanks Ed

Comments

• Options
    ken44-40ken44-40 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm partial to the 7 1/2 inch barrels on my C&Bs. My one set of cartridge guns have 5 1/2 inch barrels. They don't get used much.

FM
  • Options
    dandak1dandak1 Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This comes down to purely a personal decision. The 7 1/2" will give you slightly higher velocities, especially with the slower powders, longer sight radius and thus the potential for more accuracy, and for most people better balance, thus for target work it may be your choice. It will also help in hunting. The 5 1/2" trades this off for a more convenient size. Dont discount this, pick up a 7 1/2" then pick up a 5 1/2"...the difference is definitely there. In a holster hung on your belt I definitely prefer the 5 1/2"...(seems to get in the way less when sitting on a stump or high stepping it over logs with 15" of snow on the ground.) Most, but not all, people also think the 5 1/2" looks better, debateable but it definitely seems to be easier to get more money out of the smaller barrel lengths than the 7 1/2" if you wish to sell it later (I am talking repros here). Having said all the above some of the accuracy/balance differences are so slight that 5 1/2" guns often out shoot 7 1/2". it is strictly your call. I know what I would do if I were you and undecided, I would go to a range or a gun store and ask to handle both sizes. Compare them to each other. If at a range ask if you can shoot it. I often ask people at the range, that show interest in my guns, if they want to shoot them.
    So as far as which is "better" only you can answer that by handling both.
    The US Army used the 7 1/2" during the indian wars, but by the time the Colt SAA's were rebuilt for the Spanish American war they cut the barrels back to 5 1/2"...that may tell you something. Cowboys used any and all barrel lengths, according to what I read. You will see original Colts in all various barrel lengths. Colt wouldnt make them if people didnt buy them, thus there had to be people using them.
  • Options
    trainman115trainman115 Member Posts: 119 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    THANK You ALL its been very interesting I have tobuy the gun on-line my gun dealers around here only sell whats easy to get so I dont have the choice to handle both guns before I buy But thanks again I really appreciate the replys Ed
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by trainman115
    THANK You ALL its been very interesting I have tobuy the gun on-line my gun dealers around here only sell whats easy to get so I dont have the choice to handle both guns before I buy But thanks again I really appreciate the replys Ed

go to the next gun show in your area, you should be able to find both so you can get a hands on feel.