In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Fuse for a CVA .45 cal cannon

anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
A friend gave me a CVA .45 cal cannon ... what do you suggest for fuse?[?]

Comments

• bigbossmanbigbossman Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get a Dixie Gun Works Catalog, or just go to their web site, and order some cannon fuse.
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    I use waterproof firecracker fuse in my cannon (72 cal, made from a 12-Ga shotgun barrel) that I order from a fireworks wholesaler. This seems to be pretty good-quality stuff, but I also use a long fuse in case a fuse has a spot of erratic burn rate.
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. Do hobby shops sell this kind of fuses? Seems like that is where I got fuses when I was a kid.
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by andersk
    Thanks for the info. Do hobby shops sell this kind of fuses? Seems like that is where I got fuses when I was a kid.

Not any more.
    edited November -1
    I found a gun shop that will sell me 15 feet for about $15 ... man that would last me a couple lifetimes! But I did have another thought. Has anyone ever made their own fuse material. I'm thinking about pulverizing some Hodgdon 777 and wrapping it in thin paper.

Am I nuts to give that a try?
  • countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1
    I would stick with the bought kind, it burns at a known rate. It would take a lot of experimenting to get it just right with a homemade one.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,735 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For safety sake use the real thing. FYI cannon fuse is considered HazMat for shipping purposes.
  • 11echo11echo Member Posts: 1,006 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    HEY andersk can you give me a lead where you got this 15ft of fuse for $15? ...I've heard of using fuse to "tiger stripe" black power stocks, and I've been wanting to try it but haven't run across a place I can get fuse of any length.
    edited November -1
    Yes, I was over to Northeast Trading Co. in Plaineville, Massachusetts. Ted Ovens is the owner and though he doesn't carry it, he can get it in a day from his supplier. His phone number is 508-695-4852. I've just about decided to get 15 feet of the fuse material from him. Would you be interested in buying ten feet from me for 10 bucks? Then we'd both be all set!
  • 11echo11echo Member Posts: 1,006 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sure, I can do $10 bucks worth, send me an Email with a name and address and I'll send you my payment and my address. THX!
  • ORTEGAKIDORTEGAKID Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    www.cannonfuse.com,have bought from them for years, best price, great quality, many choices!
  • ORTEGAKIDORTEGAKID Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    try again: www.cannonfuse.com
    edited November -1
    I got my Hodgdon cannon fuse material ... it sure seems to be much larger in diameter than I expected ... now I need to try it out!
    edited November -1
    Well, I took my little cannon out yesterday. Man, what a lot of fun! Fire, sparks from the fuse, big bang, smoke, holes in the target and the puff of lead in the berm ... can you beat that. Oh yeah, you get to clean up the cannon afterwards, too! [:D][:D][:D]
    edited November -1
    I took it out to shoot a second time. It really is a riot to shoot. Over at the range it is quite the hit even though it is a toy! I am getting better at aiming it, too. I am using shorter fuses and I even tried it without a fuse at all. I just primed the fuse hole and put fire to it - BANG!
    edited November -1
    I went out to shoot the cannon again the other day. Never ceases to amaze me how much fun it is! (fire, sparks, sizzle, bang smoke and hole in the cardboard and puff on the berm! Awesome!!!!!) I also realized that it is pretty easy to hit high on the berm when I though I was just raising it a small amount. It is short like a pistol even if it is sitting on the ground.
  • ofitgofitg Member Posts: 359 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Uh oh, it sounds like you have caught the Blackpowder Artillery bug...

The disease usually progresses into a desire for heavier guns with bigger bores....
    edited November -1
    I'm dealing with it ... I think I'll be OK!