In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

WHAT KIND OF POWDER

needmygunsneedmyguns Member Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
hello all ok what i have here is a 1886 black powder rifle i was told it is still a good shooter.but i was also told not to use modern day powder in it.so just what type and brand of powder do i use..any input would be nice thanks in advance............
RON

Comments

• Options
    PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 689 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I reload my Trapdoor Springfield .45-70, and my Mauser 71/84 caliber .43 Mauser, with Goex 2F, a full case of Black Powder, just like it was designed to use. You did not mention what caliber is your rifle. I am sure someone can help you with a starting point load if they find out what caliber you are shooting. Also certain modern smokeless powders, in reduced-pressure loads that don't exceed the original Black Powder loadings pressures, may be suitable.
  • Options
    needmygunsneedmyguns Member Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    well the fella im buying it from said he thinks it is a 410 i know thats kinda a stupid thing to say but like i was saying thats what the fella told me so thats what im going on..so any extra help would be nice..once again thanks for any input and god bless..
  • Options
    Walley19Walley19 Member Posts: 118 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When you were told not to use modern powder in your rifle it was most likely meant not to use smokeless powder. Black powder or any of the substitutes should be fine. Have a competent gunsmith check it out before you fire it and he will probably be able to help you out in regard to powder, projectile and load.
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    By "modern powder" you can be 98% sure they meant smokeless powder. For sure do not use that. The powder I like best is Hodgdon 777 ... it shoots just about the same as "real Black Powder," but the clean up takes one tenth of the time! Thus ... you get more time shooting and less time cleaning! Get some scoop from the local BP crowd as the the best clean up stuff! and how to do it.
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    By "modern powder" you can be 98% sure they meant smokeless powder. For sure do not use that. What I like best is Hogdgon 777 ... it shoots just about the same as "real Black Powder" but the clean up takes one tenth of the time! Thus ... you get more time shooting and less time cleaning! Get some scoop from the local BP crowd as the the best clean up stuff!
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think we (and especially YOU) need to know exactly what you are buying. An 1886 Winchester is strong enough for smokeless powder, but there were a lot of other guns in 1886. An 1886 Winchester definitely is NOT a 410, nor is any other RIFLE, .410 being a shotgun designation.