In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

45 SAA 255 gr Hornady Reload Question

1988z011988z01 Member Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭
Hey Guys:
I posted something similar in the RELOADING section, but I didn't get a lot of responses. I am going to reload some Hornady 255 grain Cowboy loads. Hoping someone might have a few suggestions. I was also looking into casting my own, and I was wanting a little advice on that. What's a good mould?

Comments

• Options
    44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMR Trailboss powder is great for 45 Colt Cowboy loads. Use 4.5 grains of powder. Lyman and RCBS both make good cowboy bullet molds. The Lyman is #452664 and makes a 250 grain bullet. The RCBS is Cowboy Bullet Mold 45-230-CM and makes a 230 grain bullet.
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I second the Trailboss powder, great stuff!
  • Options
    1988z011988z01 Member Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just got 5lbs of Trailboss from an old buddy who bought the wrong thing a while back for 70 BUCKS!!!!!! Never used it.

WOOOHOOOO!
  • Options
    Mort4570Mort4570 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you'll find TB to be a very wimpy powder,,it's designed to be so..and using starting loads will be very weak loads.I"d suggest startig in the mid range for some oomph to your loads. I"ve shot it in my 45's,so speaking from experience .
  • Options
    Gideon WalkerGideon Walker Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The great advantage with Trail Boss is it's consistancy. If you are loading on trays and can visually inspect the fill, an overload is very quickly obvious.

I use a Dillon 550 and can see mistakes easily even though I must be higher than eye level with the power dispenser.

I am shooting 38's with 3.1gr load. Yes, they are wimpy, but they are plenty good for a whole day at the range and close targets as we are used to. After all all we want is a "ping"

Loaded several thousand to take to EOT next month.
  • Options
    mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    man up - 8.0gr Unique
  • Options
    D.DelozierD.Delozier Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been loading 5.5 grains of trail boss with a 210 grain lead round nose bullet in 45 long colt, It makes a nice shooting load in my Pietta 1858 Remington NMA with the R&D conversion cylinder.