In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

2 stroke engine help

kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
edited November 2015 in General Discussion
Folks I have a 2 stroke chainsaw of course....been buzzing trees in this Oklahoma ice storm. My saw runs on 50:1....all I had today was 40:1 and put it in there.....did I just mess up my saw (at least it is 100% pure high test in the mix)

Comments

• Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If anything you might have put a bit of oil fouling on the plug. Your 40:1 ratio is more oil per gallon of gas than the 50:1, so not a big deal.

The other way around could lean out the engine and cause problems.
  • kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Dads3040
    If anything you might have put a bit of oil fouling on the plug. Your 40:1 ratio is more oil per gallon of gas than the 50:1, so not a big deal.

The other way around could lean out the engine and cause problems.

Thats kinda what I was thinking....worse case being I would have to take out the plug and spray everything with seafoam or carb cleaner....maybe clean the muffler and spark arrestor. ...but I didn't think it would hurt the rings or seals....hope we both are right :)
  • NogoingbackNogoingback Member Posts: 15
    edited November -1
    You're fine, 50:1 is 2.6oz of oil 40:1 is 3.2oz per gallon. A little over 1/2 ounce extra oil diluted in a gallon of gas isn't going to do anything bad.
  • jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,195 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just polluted more air is all.
  • reload999reload999 Member Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OMG, more global warming; where's Al?
  • woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    Put in 50:1 When You Run Out of the other And Run Hell Out of It
    Cut 100 Face cord And Drop it off at My house[:D][:D]
    You will be Fine[^]
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,309 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    A little of that sometimes will be ok. Do that a lot, and you're likely to sludge up the bearings.
  • steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bearings are going to be fine, they like oil. Its the piston rings that will carbon up and stick if you run it with extra oil. quote:Originally posted by Horse Plains Drifter
    A little of that sometimes will be ok. Do that a lot, and you're likely to sludge up the bearings.
  • LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Older saws and trimmer you will be fine. The newer ones with a catalytic converter like found on ECHO equipment does not like it at all.

I have a couple pieces of Tanaka equipment and here is what the owners manual says about the fuel/oil mix on the TED-270 gas drill.

Use genuine two-cycle oil or use a mix
    between 25:1 to 50:1, please consult the oil
    bottle for the ratio or Tanaka dealer.
    Only for the state of California at 50:1.
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your fine. I have mixed up my saws before and done this. It will smoke a little. Just add a little more gas to the mixture or dump it out. If not, you will still be fine for one tank full. Oakie
  • iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have actually LEANED out the FUEL to AIR mixture. That's what causes seizures.

More oil means less fuel. The oil doesn't burn, it's there for lubrication.

You should keep an eye on the plug. Black fouling is OK, it the plug starts to turn white (or any color lighter than chocolate brown), it's time to drain the fuel and put in what's recommended.
  • kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm only doing this for the one tank. After that I will be running the 50:1....it was something of a time sensitive go because I had trees about to fall on my neighbors home...figure a slightly damaged or ruined saw is better than my neighbors roof collapsed because of a tree.

I purposely didn't shake the can to much when I poured it in for that very reason.
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guesstimate and have been for 10 years and all my saws work fine I wouldn't sweat it.

quote:Originally posted by kidthatsirish
    I'm only doing this for the one tank. After that I will be running the 50:1....it was something of a time sensitive go because I had trees about to fall on my neighbors home...figure a slightly damaged or ruined saw is better than my neighbors roof collapsed because of a tree.

I purposely didn't shake the can to much when I poured it in for that very reason.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    burn it up so you don't foul the plug.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should