In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Waiting on friends to find my buck

OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2015 in General Discussion
Shot a nice rack this morning. He went right down and got back up and headed deep into the swamp. Lost the blood trail on the other side of the swamp. Waiting on a couple of friends to help me track this afternoon. Gonna give him some time to bleed out or lay down. I waited an hour to track and thought I would find him right away. When I heard him hit the swamp, my heart sank. It is full of briers. He did come out the other side. I don't want to push him if it is not a lung shot. He was at 143 yards when I shot. My Muzzle loader is good out to 200. I know I hit him good in the engine room and he went right down, but damn do they have adrenaline. Last one I shot in the heart, went 1/4 mile. Took me 7 hours to find him and there was no blood. I stumbled upon him leaving the woods. He died, 15 feet from my truck. Oakie

PS. I haven't hunted this stand in about eight years. I saw 13 bucks and four does before 8 this morning. Looks like a great spot again. Lots of scrapes and rubs. I hunt on an island in a swamp. The deer like the security of the swamp when pressure is on.

Comments

• montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******
    edited November -1
    hope ya find him,,
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good luck hope you find him
  • gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by savage170
    Good luck hope you find him

+1
  • diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have fun! Them critters are truly amazing sometimes.

You'll have him hanging in no time.
  • LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There's a small spot between the heart and lungs that a bullet or arrow can pass through and barely touch either organ. If you hit it, a deer can go for miles before they go down for good.

Hope that you find it.

I have found four dead so far (3 eights and a 12) that either were not tracked by lazy hunters or lost. Most likely will find a lot more before Spring.
  • woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    karma being what it is, I'm sure you'll find your deer soon...
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks for taking time out of your tracking time to give us an update [:D]

good luck
  • JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,147 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The best deer trackers are small Dachshund dogs [;)], mine stay busy this time of the year, I loan my 2 out to friends [:)] Hope your friends are as good [:D]

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the blood trail is gone because he has leaves stuck to the wounds. Happens all the time. I found one for a friend last Tuesday. I even found his crossbow bolt on the way out[8D]

I stopped shooting in the heart a number of years ago. That fills the animal with adrenaline, which gives a more "gamey" taste, especially in a Buck. I shoot through the front shoulders because the bullet expansion is greater and that imparts greater energy inside the organ cavity, which IMHO, anchors them much more quickly, and usually they are DRT. This is how I have been teaching the "deer slayer" to shoot them in the past 4 seasons, and he hasn't lost a single deer with the little ole .243 that folks like to say won't kill a deer quickly[;)]

Good luck tracking.[8] Oh, and the suggestion of the dog is a good one. I have seen household pets find deer in the woods with zero training. Put a dog on the blood trail, then take it to the other side of the swamp where the deer came out, you might just be suprised[;)]
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Neck shot or shoulder. They don't run on two legs.
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use 7mm Rem Magnum two that I shot dropped right there and kicked once or twice and died never went any further.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good luck.Always a relief when you find him.
  • woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    Hope Ya Find him John
    Good Luck
    Roger
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    It's about dark now John... Any luck finding that buck?
    I posted to your thread yesterday that I thought U would shoot a real "Antler Mule".. I really hope y'all find him before he spoils.
  • m88.358winm88.358win Member Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I watched a wounded hudge bull elk through my bino's zig zagging across a hill side then run into a oak brush thicket run back out on his same trail, zig zag back across the same hill side and run into another thicket back out then run straight down to the bottom of the canyon and disappear.
  • riflemikeriflemike Member Posts: 10,599
    edited November -1
    ..my 68 y/o FIL in WV uses a 222....neck shot every time..they dont run

why wouldnt everyone do that??
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    John I found your deer

221f41fde13f7548ffca1d4ee4205d33.jpg

article-2004707-0C9B401300000578-519_634x519.jpg
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got him. 7 pointer.

deer1.jpg
  • discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Junkballer
    The best deer trackers are small Dachshund dogs [;)], mine stay busy this time of the year, I loan my 2 out to friends [:)] Hope your friends are as good [:D]
    they are good trackers but terrible sled dogs
    12295437_10207098094624333_915664830134908955_n_zps70jywkts.jpg
  • Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by discusdad
    quote:Originally posted by Junkballer
    they are good trackers but terrible sled dogs
    12295437_10207098094624333_915664830134908955_n_zps70jywkts.jpg

That is just mean! #ShortLegsMatter

[;)][:D]
  • craigroopcraigroop Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SWEET! Should be yummy! But that's not your DESK![:D]
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am glad you found him. Is it still edible?
    Where did you hit the deer?
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    I am glad you found him. Is it still edible?
    Where did you hit the deer?

Heart. Still good as it was cool today. Nice and cold tonight and i packed it with ice.
  • pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    watch out for the turn around they do.
    toughest one I had to track was a heart shot with no blood trail early on so tough to track for a few hundred yards and lost trail, I did a wide sweep of the area and found he circled back around me after about 3 hundred yards and laid down to stop bleeding, I found a big blood spot with a small blood trail into a swampy area that I followed until it stopped, shortly later I found a nice 8 pointer that had tucked himself under a fallen tree.
    Good Luck and don't give up he will be there.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i was hunting an overgrown thicket with lots of honey suckle in it one november shotgun season, probably around 1976. heavy downpour of rain all morning when a doe comes running hell bent for leather past me with a basket rack 8 pt behind her. she stopped. he got his, i gave him mine. that buck disappeared into the honeysuckle and i lost sight. knowing the rain would wash away any blood trail i got down right away and went to tracking. that buck did a 1/2 moon run and was trying to leave the thicket the same way he entered it before expiring. all totalled it wasn't but maybe 80 yards, but he was totally unseen during that run.
    in succeeding years when tracking i found that most often they did the same thing, and as was explained to me by an old timer, he knew it was safe where he come from and wants to go back that way to escape.