In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Remington 870 20 ga. home defense

Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
edited November 2015 in General Discussion
I'm sitting here talking to my office manager and pick up a Rem 870 20 ga. pump we use to teach with. Gun weights less than 6 lbs. holds 4 rounds in the mag tube and is only 37" long with a 18" barrel.In other words a perfect shotgun for the house. 12" LOP stock so anybody can shoot it and 20 ga buckshot and slugs work great. I have a 870 12ga police gun here in my office and a Mossberg 590 at home but I would not feel unde rgunned with one of the little Remingtons if things go bad. We sell a lot of these here in the store. Good luck, Ricci.

Comments

• spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    outside...mossberg pump, short barrel, pistol grip, and Dragon's Breath rounds...shake and bake
  • callktulucallktulu Member Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I, too, have a Remington 870 (youth) in 20-GA, that I always thought would be good for home defense. If I were not a law-abiding citizen, I'd often conjectured that sawing off some of the barrel and shortening the stock to a pistol grip would make for an ideal home defense weapon.
  • buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    used to have a Rem 870 Express. tacked on a factory Remington 7-shot extension tube. handled like a railroad tie hunting dove but the added capacity was nice.

a shotgun is too low capacity, too slow rate of fire unless you get a semiauto like an 1100. pump guns can hang up when stroking the pump and working the trigger too fast. that's when you get shot.

imo good for slow rate of fire at a distance, like getting rioters away from your shop. until they start shooting back. better have something to transition to.

try maneuvering inside your house with a long arm. doesn't work very well. pistol is noticeably better. I think a pistol grip makes a shotgun work a lot better inside a house, but you still have that slow rate of fire and low capacity. again a pistol is better.

if you have extra money to spend, it makes a good secondary implement. it's useful but not as a primary weapon.
  • callktulucallktulu Member Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There was a long article in American Rifleman earlier this year on why an AR is the 1 & ONLY weapon for home defense. I can't say I necessarily agree with the author's assessment, but he made excellent points and presented his arguments well.
  • WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 20GA 870 and a Winchester 1200 20GA both 18" for HD

I have always felt 20GA was better in that I can one hand it if required without fear of injury plus I can always claim I used a smaller round because I didn't really want to hurt anyone

I have collected ammo over the years as when someone needs to dump 500 rounds unlike 12GA there are few takers and I have gotten some super deals and now have about 3K rounds for them
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buschmaster
    used to have a Rem 870 Express. tacked on a factory Remington 7-shot extension tube. handled like a railroad tie hunting dove but the added capacity was nice.

a shotgun is too low capacity, too slow rate of fire unless you get a semiauto like an 1100. pump guns can hang up when stroking the pump and working the trigger too fast. that's when you get shot.

imo good for slow rate of fire at a distance, like getting rioters away from your shop. until they start shooting back. better have something to transition to.

try maneuvering inside your house with a long arm. doesn't work very well. pistol is noticeably better. I think a pistol grip makes a shotgun work a lot better inside a house, but you still have that slow rate of fire and low capacity. again a pistol is better.

if you have extra money to spend, it makes a good secondary implement. it's useful but not as a primary weapon.

You ever bird hunt?
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,541 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a couple 870's 12 ga's set up with 20" barrels ( with the rem choke system ) one with a folding stock one with the standard police stock . both have extended mag tubes , nothing like a few rounds of 00 buck to ruin some ones day , also have #4 buck shot ,
    I had a rem youth 20 ga I really liked 21 " barrel , but a friend wanted it for his son so I t up , will like to replace it sometime as I liked it for the same reasons light weight easy to handle and every o knows what a pump shotgun sounds like when you rack the slide [:D][:D].
    just one option depending on the situation [;)][;)]
  • cranky2cranky2 Member Posts: 3,236 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I keep a winchester 1300 youth by my bed.
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    870 youth 20 gauge by the bed..great for home intruders, and also works well for grouse out the p/u window.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SCOUT5

You ever bird hunt?used to, when I had a little extra money and a lot of spare time
    edited November -1
    one time me and my friend were out hunting dove, came across some ducks in a pond. snuck up on them, hid behind a log. I had my Rem 870 with the 7-shot tube, he had a Mossberg semiauto with 5 shots I think. told him look, this pump is way slower than your semiauto, so here's the plan. when I pop up and start shooting, then you can start because that thing will empty the magazine before I'm finished. so we did that, and sure enough, he was done before I got the last 2 shells out and I had a head start.

semiauto's are definitely faster.
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ricci, I never gave that a thought. Hmmmmmmm. Gonna load mine up and put it in the corner tonight.[;)]Thanks
  • TombstonejimTombstonejim Member Posts: 190
    edited November -1
    one time me and my friend were out hunting dove, came across some ducks in a pond. snuck up on them, hid behind a log. I had my Rem 870 with the 7-shot tube, he had a Mossberg semiauto with 5 shots I think. told him look, this pump is way slower than your semiauto, so here's the plan. when I pop up and start shooting, then you can start because that thing will empty the magazine before I'm finished. so we did that, and sure enough, he was done before I got the last 2 shells out and I had a head start.

semiauto's are definitely faster.

Well I guess but back in the 50's and 60's not so true. I watched my Dad win many a beer at the Ft Bragg Rod and Gun club betting that he could fire three rounds out of his Model 12 faster than others could out of a Browning A5. I nevr saw him lose.