In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

AR 15 7.62x39

buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2015 in General Discussion
Just ordered a 7.62x39 upper from PSA.What I did not think of was magazines.Will the 5.56 mags work,or do I need new mags?

Comments

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,353 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buddyb
    .....do I need new mags?
    Yep.
  • Options
    M1A762M1A762 Member Posts: 3,426
    edited November -1
    You will turn your AR15 into a red headed step child when you pin that upper on!
  • Options
    buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think the MagPul mags are the only ones that work reliably. if that. from what I heard
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd still like to hear from someone that's got an Anderson AR-15.

They advertise that they are the worlds only guns that don't need lubing. Be interesting to know just how good they really are.

"The Anderson Rifle is the World's Only NO LUBE Rifle. Using nano-technology, our RF85 treatment is permanent. It is IN the metal. The Anderson AR-15 fires with 85% less friction, 23% faster action, never needs oiling and cleans up with soap and water."
    http://www.andersonrifles.com/
  • Options
    steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Best deal that I could find on 7.62x39 AR-15 mags was at atlantic firearms 2 ASC 30 rd for 30.00 plus shipping. They have 5, 10 and 20 rds as well for 2 for 28.00
  • Options
    DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just ordered a 7.62x39 upper from PSA.What I did not think of was magazines.Will the 5.56 mags work,or do I need new mags?

I think you will be happy with your new set up. The 7.62X39 can be very accurate out of the right platform. I have a Ruger 77 bolt action chambered in 7.62X39 and it is an extremely accurate rifle. Many people argue that it is an inherently inaccurate round and its just not true. Most WASR's and other AK's do not group well due to the loose tolerances and heavy triggers and the caliber gets the blame. Good luck with the PSA and give us a range report if you can.

Don
  • Options
    randomnutrandomnut Member Posts: 942 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can get 3 or 4 7.62x39 into a std ar mag. Any more and they won't feed. I use C Products mags.
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    After doing a little research,looks like ASC mags seem to work best.The bad part everywhere I checked is sold out the 30 round mags.I ordered 2 C-Products 10 rounders as they were pretty highly rated.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    After doing a little research,looks like ASC mags seem to work best.The bad part everywhere I checked is sold out the 30 round mags.I ordered 2 C-Products 10 rounders as they were pretty highly rated.

I have a bunch of the ASC 30 rounders, kind of a PITA to load fully and I mostly use their 10 rounders. They also make 20 rounders, have a few but haven't tried them out.

I put a heavier mainspring in my AR when I got a X39 upper. Some of the Russian stuff is stubborn about going off the 1st time.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buschmaster
    I think the MagPul mags are the only ones that work reliably. if that. from what I heard

I know Magpul makes AK mags now - are they also making AR mags in the AK chambering?
  • Options
    steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most of the people who use them say to load 28 rds or so. For the most part I will load 1 box (20 rds) in a 30rd mag.quote:Originally posted by dfletcher

I have a bunch of the ASC 30 rounders, kind of a PITA to load fully and I mostly use their 10 rounders. They also make 20 rounders, have a few but haven't tried them out.

I put a heavier mainspring in my AR when I got a X39 upper. Some of the Russian stuff is stubborn about going off the 1st time.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "I think the MagPul mags are the only ones that work reliably. if that. from what I heard"

C-Products(ASC)have work3ed for me as have some plastic mags that I can't remember the brand name of. The complaints about functional magazines are past news.