In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

The sun is out and,

asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2015 in General Discussion
it's raining ice.
Sounds like the whole damn tree is coming down on my roof.

Comments

• fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    "Sounds like the whole damn tree is coming down on my roof."

Stay alert man,it just may be!!!!
    I really hope that tree can hold all the weight of the ice!!
    If U havn't had a bad ice storm in the last 5-6 years,it could mean real trouble!!
  • searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    We didn't get the ice in SE Kansas like you did. Just a crap load of really cold rain and wind. Still, no sunshine. Maybe tomorrow.

Don't sleep under the tree.

Dan
  • notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So I'm wondering, if the standing air temp is above freezing, would hosing your tree branches down using a garden hose work to melt some of the ice. Like they do for frost on orange trees. I'd imagine it would take a crapload of water but may save on roofing costs.
  • danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,472 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    shotgun with bird-shot will knock the ice off of tree branches
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******
    edited November -1
    I remember,and do not miss,the ice storms we would get in St.Loius,,[xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(]
  • asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by notnow
    So I'm wondering, if the standing air temp is above freezing, would hosing your tree branches down using a garden hose work to melt some of the ice. Like they do for frost on orange trees. I'd imagine it would take a crapload of water but may save on roofing costs.

http://tinyurl.com/goe5p4d

That's the satellite view. The 1/2 city block on the north west corner of Gilmore and Lyndon is mine. SW of what you can see of my roof is a 24'x24' garage as well as a 10'x24' garage. They're about five feet apart. Can't see'em can ya?[:p] That's one huuuuuge elm and a not so big walnut hiding them.[;)] It would take a fire truck to hose that monster down.

No more additional limbs down this morning, but my yard almost looks like it snowed.
    btw, that elm is between ten and fifteen feet behind the big garage.
  • discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yep agree with ya 100%quote:Originally posted by montanajoe
    I remember,and do not miss,the ice storms we would get in St.Loius,,[xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(]
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    we had a coating of ice and freezing drizzle here at home where even the dogs could not get off the deck without a wreck...missed all that at the lake north of searcher5...slickest coating i have ever seen and no power problems either
  • wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,099 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Saturday is was so slick I couldn't stand up on my gravel drive. Sunday it warmed up to about 33 degrees and over night it rained between 3 and four inches. It was 34 here Monday morning. My pond finally filled up and all the ditches were running. I just couldn't imagine what that would have been like if it were freezing.
    standard.jpg