#%&**^%$&[email protected]!# windows 10

us55840us55840 Member Posts: 31,599 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2015 in General Discussion
Installed it and it really screwed up the computer. Lost the contact list, lost saved emails, can't get google to come up automatically like it used to...it's CRAP!

I'm no computer geek so it's going in tomorrow and maybe can get it UN-installed and get everything back.

[?]
"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it." Abraham Lincoln

Comments

• rmillrmill Member Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    EXACTLY what I did last week! For whatever reason, it all started jiving, my internet speed on sites is way up and I FOUND my files! I'm a dumazz on computer stuff as well.
  • pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    just do a recovery and go back in time before the install and you will be good to where you were at before the install.
    no charge.............
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • IdahoboundIdahobound Member Posts: 20,563 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hate windows 10
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    no one ever listens [V]
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    They are POUNDING ME with pop ups to switch from 8.1 to Win.10... I DO NOT WANT IT!!!
    Do we have any choice,will 8.1 be no longer supported soon,leaving no alternative?
    Seems like every other incarnation of MS Windows sucks *!!Win. 10,sounds to me to be another of the SA versions of Win. I would like to keep 8.1 till a newer than WIn.10 OS comes out but,I have no idea if that will be possible.
    Anyone know? WIll their eventually be some penalty for not giving up 8.1 for 10?
  • EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been running it on the laptop since it came out with no problems yet.

If you were to go from 7 up 10 it would be a shock. But from 8.1 it was no big deal.
    Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.
  • DPHMINDPHMIN Member Posts: 701 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by EhlerDave

If you were to go from 7 up 10 it would be a shock. But from 8.1 it was no big deal.

I'm using Windows 7, and it is working fine. I don't want to go to Windows 10.
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1

Same with me only Lost Solidworks but that subscription was outdated anyway.
    edited November -1

unless you have certain years of Microsoft programs that have been deemed incompatible, and you must now lease it on a year to year basis

there is always a catch, since when did Microsoft "give" away operating systems?

oh and restoring/recovery will not work
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DPHMIN

I'm using Windows 7, and it is working fine. I don't want to go to Windows 10.

I have win 7 on one laptop, this one is newer and came with 8.1. Since it is for my daughter to use in school and was almost empty I let it upgrade, I was thinking if I needed to wipe it and go back to 8.1 I had nothing to really lose.

The big difference (from 7 to 8.1) is the desktop and just finding where they decided to hide things that I have known where to find on 7, for years. No operating problems, just locating what I want to find.
  • 35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 15,200
    edited November -1
    Is the Windows 10 thing mandatory? I'm happy with Windows 7 as is.
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1-fan

unless you have certain years of Microsoft programs that have been deemed incompatible, and you must now lease it on a year to year basis

there is always a catch, since when did Microsoft "give" away operating systems?

oh and restoring/recovery will not work

Okay so if I am wrong what does it matter? I have had no problems, no outdated items not working all good to go.

Now what makes people think win 7,8 or 8.1 is going to work much longer? Could be soon all windows systems will be rent monthly.

The one lady who did update did not like the fact she could not find her way around, went right back with no fuss. Now I am no computer guru so I have no idea why I am having no problems.

I tried to move some files from an older XP to win 7 pro and they were not compatible, all the file extensions had to be changed, so I would bet this happens soon with all the systems they have running.
  • victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Switched a couple of months ago. From 7 to 10. Long warm ups, slow, slow, slow. Typing is frequently interrupted, especially in email. My laptop is about 5 years old. I plan on simply replacing it.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by victorj19
    Switched a couple of months ago. From 7 to 10. Long warm ups, slow, slow, slow. Typing is frequently interrupted, especially in email. My laptop is about 5 years old. I plan on simply replacing it.

That is why my older laptop is going to stay with win 7 until it goes the way of XP. It just has enough processor to run the OP but nothing else, so I just let it do its best. Anything running like AVG and mine just cant keep up, slows way way down and anything that I can type faster than it can come up on the screen is s l o w. [:)]
  • LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Should have done your homework and not jump on every bandwagon rolling down the pike. For if you had. You would avoid Windows 10 like a plague.

Can you say SPYWARE?? Well it comes standard with Windows 10.

The Privacy statement that's included by mention as part of the EULA says "we will access, disclose and preserve personal data ... when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to ... protect our customers, for example to prevent spam ...".

Yea right.. Did Democrats write that section of the EULA agreement?
  • CaptFunCaptFun Member, Moderator Posts: 16,645 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Idahobound
    I hate windows 10

I'm liking it a whole lot better than 8 and since I have to pay more to buy new ones with 7 still, we are making the switch....
  • Flying Clay DiskFlying Clay Disk Member Posts: 35,184 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's a good way to describe Win 10...

Let's just say you're sitting there enjoying a beer with a buddy of yours, and he hands you a brand new framing hammer. Being the latest and greatest, bestest, cleated framing hammer known to man you decide to see how well it works by spreading your hand out flat on the bar and taking a 16d framing nail swing at your thumb.

Welcome to every (broken)-window product above 7!!!

[B)][;)][B)][;)]

edit...if it ain't broken...don't fix it...dammit!!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LesWVa
    Should have done your homework and not jump on every bandwagon rolling down the pike. For if you had. You would avoid Windows 10 like a plague.

The Privacy statement that's included by mention as part of the EULA says "we will access, disclose and preserve personal data ... when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to ... protect our customers, for example to prevent spam ...".

I honestly think the same crap will be in the updates that are coming into the other OS's MS makes. Not much is private anymore so other than turning off the things I can I dont worry about it. If I get adds sent to me because I am on here not big deal. Big Brother knows who we all are so no fear in that direction, not sure what I have to worry much about. Not like if my info got out and my identity was stolen it would do anything but help my credit. [:)]
  • Flying Clay DiskFlying Clay Disk Member Posts: 35,184 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun
    I hate windows 10

I'm liking it a whole lot better than 8 and since I have to pay more to buy new ones with 7 still, we are making the switch....

Shame on you! You, above all, should know the Engineer's mantra...Better is the arch rival of good enough!

[;)]
  • MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For those of you happy with Windows 10, do some searches about it on google. This crap will turn your privacy settings OFF, even after you turn them ON!

And get ready to pay through the nose for EVERY LITTLE THING you do! They are modelling it after cell phones/apps.......

I'll go to Linux before I use Win10.

Merc
  • Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 9,670
    edited November -1
    BATAMAX!!!![:)][:)]
  • CaptFunCaptFun Member, Moderator Posts: 16,645 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun
    I hate windows 10

Shame on you! You, above all, should know the Engineer's mantra...Better is the arch rival of good enough!

[;)]

I hated 8. I deployed a total of 6 computers with 8 and they were to Geeks that were told. Do NOT come to me when it screws up 'cause I will wipe it and put 7 on it. 3 of them still have 8 the rest have moved on to 10 or back to 7.

HOWEVER, as I get new units, getting a 7 Downgrade is becoming more difficult. We will be provisioning new units and updating a bunch of Win 8.1 this week. yuk
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,402
    edited November -1
    The games are gone & I have to find outlook express every time I want to check e-mail.
  • mackcranemackcrane Member Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have 7, Good For ME. Will wait for 11---Oh, It's hear?
  • jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 8,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mercury
    For those of you happy with Windows 10, do some searches about it on google. This crap will turn your privacy settings OFF, even after you turn them ON!

And get ready to pay through the nose for EVERY LITTLE THING you do! They are modelling it after cell phones/apps.......

Merc
    +1000000000000000000 That is what my son said and he lives computers.
  • chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 11,086 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LesWVa

Yep, my thoughts exactly. I will not DOWNGRADE to 10.
    My advice for anyone who does upgrade is to SAVE EVERYTHING to a disc or it is GONE!

Gone to one of those metadata sites Snowden warded us about.
  • us55840us55840 Member Posts: 31,599 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Taking the laptop to the kid today as he's pretty good on computer stuff.

If he can't fix it, may check with a "computer repair" joint on a price & if I don't like it, I junk this HP Pavilion g7-201Onr notebook PC got maybe 3 or 4 years ago.

My experience is once electronics are 'screwed up' it costs more to correct the problem then just replace the gizmo.[}:)] I believe electronics are designed to be throw away products.[xx(]

At least I have some data saved on the 8-10 year old desktop that may be a tad slow but still functions fine.
    "This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it." Abraham Lincoln
  • scrumpyjackscrumpyjack Member Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Played with the beta for a few weeks as a virtual machine. When MS dropped the upgrade, I ran that release build for a few more weeks on one computer.
    The new Edge browser has come a long way since alpha; still needs some tweaks. I did end up installing IE11 so I could connect VPN to a couple of work sites. Once satisfied enough, I did a clean install on new SSDs.
    Win10 has not been without it's quirks, but after reconfiguring the hosts file to use a stable DNS server, the only real gripe I have with W10 is that MS dropped native support for some of the older codecs. Not a huge deal since I use VLC player anyway.

I did keep one laptop running W7 just in case something fruity happens and I need to access files through it. I also keep full images of all computers with their previous OS.

For those that have upgraded recently, if you are truly disappointed or refuse to accept change, you can easily revert back to your previous OS (W7 or W8) if you are still inside of the window.

Goto...Start|Settings|Update & Security>Recovery.

If you are still eligible to go back, you will see, "Go Back To Windows 7 (Windows 8.1).

Click on Get Started and the reversion will begin.

If you installed W10 as a clean install, you're screwed and will have to go through the full install of your previous OS and sit through updates.
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,195 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mackcrane
    Have 7, Good For ME. Will wait for 11---Oh, It's hear?

Here to maybe I'll try Windows 7.1 if it ever comes out. Change is rarely for the better. Just take our country for example.[;)][;)]
  • elect1mikeelect1mike Member Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am into ham radio and this is the death of using your computer for ham stuff. Went back to old program and will never change LOL
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mercury

Merc

like said, there is always a catch and Microsoft does not give away crap

they track you to sell all that information to marketing companies