In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

When Blu Ray wasn't as good as rgular DVD

yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,979 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2018 in General Discussion
I picked up "Dredd" on Blu Ray thinking that got to be better image transfer than my copy on DVD. The DVD is great without LSD [:D]. It seems the Blu Ray had matte bits or some transfer issue making the images dull. And I don't remember on the DVD these spots of dullness.

I hope they make a mess of them.

Comments

• p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    I picked up a ten dollar copy of Das Boot on blue Ray to see if there was any difference.

Oh yeah!

The opening scene where you don't see jack until the boat is 20 meters away on the DVD, on the Blue Ray you can the shadow at 40 meters. [8D][;)]
  • wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Supposed to bring HD type quality.
    "What is truth?'
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,979 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So blu ray is better at showing "black" and it's shades? Maybe I'll re-watch it and note the places and compare it with the DVD. I may just have a crappy copy of Blu Ray?

Gawed I don't wanna think about replacing all those movies for Blu Ray that were shot in crappy light. Like "The Hunt For Red October", "The Silence Of The Lambs", "Sniper", "The Predator" and everything else.
  • Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't plan to replace most of my older movies that are in standard DVD, although there have been a couple that I just had to see if the Blu-ray version was that much better, and it was.

However, I have replaced all of my Concert DVD's that had a Blu-ray version available, mainly because the Blu-ray versions have updated sound formats and sound much better in 5.1.2 Surround and the picture quality is superior.

I only buy Blu-ray now and when I bought my Sony 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray DVD player, Sony had a limited time offer where you could get two 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray movies free. So I selected The Magnificent Seven and Ghostbusters Answer The Call, wow, nice picture and sound!!!!!!

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,275 ******
    edited November -1
    Heck! My tired and blurry old eyes make VHS just as good as anything on a disc. I like to easily rewind to get to a missed scene, without having to watch an entire section of the scene!

Yup! I would like to see a return of VHS along with 8 track tapes and players![:D]

Don't know if it's just me, but do any of you have trouble seeing all the gory stuff in those fast moving computer animated battle scenes?[B)]
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,979 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Brookwood
    Heck! My tired and blurry old eyes make VHS just as good as anything on a disc. I like to easily rewind to get to a missed scene, without having to watch an entire section of the scene!

Yup! I would like to see a return of VHS along with 8 track tapes and players![:D]

Don't know if it's just me, but do any of you have trouble seeing all the gory stuff in those fast moving computer animated battle scenes?[B)]

A room stowing DVDs are space taking but VHS? Dude that'll take acres of storage space.