In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Installed a safety delete on my Marlin

bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2013 in General Discussion
I installed a Beartooth Mercantile saddle ring safety delete on my 45-70 Marlin today, it looks 1000% better and took about three minutes (so easy a cave man could do it [:D]). I hated that cross bolt safety with a passion.

Beartooth Mercantile makes a really nice replacement, you'd never know it wasn't factory.

picture_182_1024x10241_zps7d9a64b3.jpg
"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"

Comments

• realspeedrealspeed Member Posts: 6,335
    edited November -1
  • Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I personally don't have a problem with the safety on mine. I would guess it probably has to do with my age and me having always used lever guns with the cross bolt safety.

That being said, I love the character that gives the gun. Do they make a blued version too?

Jon
  • bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, they make them in blue and stainless and they also make a "standard" delete without the saddle ring. They are $30. plus $2. shipping for the saddle ring version.
  • realspeedrealspeed Member Posts: 6,335
    edited November -1
    the saddle ring makes it
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I filed mine down and blued it on my Marlin GG 45-70. It looks good and it looks like another pin.

I like the saddle ring in place of that stinking sorry liberal safety.

Good job!!
    RLTW

edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by realspeed
    the saddle ring makes it

I completely agree. [8D]

Thanks for posting this bullshot. I may have to buy one myself, but I have a cousin who will want one for sure. That is a really reasonable price.

Jon
  • calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    I'm not familiar with these. What did it look like before and what did you have to do to be able to fire?
  • NOAHNOAH Member Posts: 9,690
    edited November -1
  • kissgoodnightkissgoodnight Member Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NOAH
    link[?]

Yes
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by calrugerfan
    I'm not familiar with these. What did it look like before and what did you have to do to be able to fire?

It was just your standard cross bolt safety, you just had to remember to push it to the fire position but I never could remember as for the majority of my life there never was a safety on a lever gun. Old habits ya know.

myguns104_zps9f137b2e.jpg
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    did the safety auto engage or was not using it an option?
  • austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,829 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bullshot

It was just your standard cross bolt safety, you just had to remember to push it to the fire position but I never could remember as for the majority of my life there never was a safety on a lever gun. Old habits ya know.

Good looking rifle.
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,979 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What's the "saddle ring" used for, for us slow kids? Is it used to dangle a strip of leather and beads?

Also bullshot how come yours got stainless trigger? Mine has a black one.
  • iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 'saddle ring' was used to attach the rifle/carbine to a 'sling' for mounted troops (cavalry)

quartermaster_cavalry_sergt_spencer_carbine_saber_zps6210c07e.jpg

quote:Originally posted by yoshmyster
    What's the "saddle ring" used for, for us slow kids? Is it used to dangle a strip of leather and beads?

• yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,979 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by iceracerx
    The 'saddle ring' was attached to a sling to retain the rifle/carbine for mounted troops (cavalry)

So it's like the tactical AR bungie of the day and not attatching it to a horse saddle like I thought? I thought there was a hook on a saddle that the ring went on. Good to know Maybe I might do that to mine (since I don't need a saddle).
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by iceracerx
    The 'saddle ring' was attached to a sling to retain the rifle/carbine for mounted troops (cavalry)

So it's like the tactical AR bungie of the day and not attatching it to a horse saddle like I thought? I thought there was a hook on a saddle that the ring went on. Good to know Maybe I might do that to mine (since I don't need a saddle).

That is what I thought as well.

Jon
    edited November -1
    The "Saddle Ring" was also used to secure the rifle in it's scabbard, kind of like the "Hammer Loop" on a western holster.
    edited November -1

I thought that all stainless marlins had stainless triggers. This is the only stainless rifle that I own so I really can't answer that, unless it is because the rifle was a limited production.
  • danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,472 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bullshot

I am the same way

thanks I can now buy a newer lever gun and do what you did

I like [^][8D]