In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Range Day

Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
edited December 2013 in General Discussion
I took my oldest son out shooting today. We spent most of the time working on safety and form. He got to shoot his .22 and .410, He is doing real good and can't wait till he gets a little bigger and we can move him up to a .243.

[img][/img]IMG_0005.jpg

Comments

• Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    ever had a range day that just completely sucked or was just useless to go?

i just did. (rant over)

the new shotgun performed well. had 1 shell get stuck in the tube, but came it out after a couple pumps. and i either need longer arms or a shorter butt stock and barrel.
    edited November -1
    Took the usual handguns with me today, the old Star 9MM, the old 1911A1, the Old Smith Mdl 17 K22, and my latest purchase the Ruger Mark I , Here is a pic of the gun, and 18 Rounds at 20 meters, wish I could stop the hand shaking..Maybe I could hit the target..[:0]

markone.jpg

targetruger.jpg
    edited November -1
    Going out shooting with "pops" today. Hope the shoulders are ready because we are going to site in our .375's. Hope them deer are ready this year.[:D] Gonna bring the Remington 600 .243 and get that sighted in as well. The shoulder will probably appreciate it a little more. Anybody else doing any shooting this weekend?

Jon
    edited November -1
    I'd been pretty much glued to GunBroker for a day and a night, either chatting with y'all or ogling guns I couldn't get until after Mama gets her new kitchen when it dawned on me...

I already OWN guns! All different types and calibers!

And I've got a perfectly healthy 8-year-old daughter just poking around on her damned Kindle.

"Girlie! You wanna go shoot?"

"Great idea, Dad!"
    (Actual conversation)

So we packed up her Mom's Marlin T7000, my Winchester 67, the "Battlestar" and, since I already had my S&W on my hip, a box of 38 special ammo.

At the Red Hill gun range, we ran into Highway Mike, a grizzled, graybeard Vietnam vet who still competes (National Match?).

Girlie ate up everything he had to tell and show her about hold, breathing, trigger discipline...the works. They worked for a half hour before she even put the magazine in the rifle and she was never impatient to get shooting. It helps that Mike was one of her Grampa's best friends. Then he gently worked her through her first two 10-round mags and turned her loose. She shot very well at 50 yards. We shot swinging targets, Shoot-N-C Prairie Dog targets and rogue shotgun hulls at varying distances. Mike shot 30 rounds from his AR then left us. We were all alone on a beautiful, 60-degree day.

We spent over three hours at the range today, mostly on the 22's and burned up a grand total of 150 rounds. I'm tellin' ya, that girl doesn't just love to shoot; she loves to hit.

Then she helped me * brass when I shot the Ballester. We came home stinking of gunpowder and victory.

The only pics I got are on my phone, so if I can get them off of FaceBook, I'll post them.

Good Lord what a perfect day.

Thanks, Mike!
    edited November -1
    14 years old son and I are headed out to the range to play with my new Chrony (Christmas present).

We are taking an AR, a CZ550 in 6.5x55 and a Mod 70 in 25WSSM. Testing proven accurate loads in all rifles that I no clue as to velocity.

Wish us luck....I don't want to shoot the chrony on the first day.[:I]
  • bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    There is a photo bucket app that will let you upload in a jiffy.

Sounds like a great day!!!
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Just as easy to get them from Face book All those Sunset photos I post are straight from there.
    edited November -1
    Holy Schmoley, that is easy! Thanks, guys!

Highway Mike, Rifle Master
    [img][/img]1470064_10201236698854624_563919816_n_zps72b4cbd8.jpg

CLANG! go the swingin' targets!
    [img][/img]604034_10201236705454789_446947910_n_zpsb6e2a501.jpg

The Late, Lamented, Mr P. Dog. The wind came up a bit and I told her to just aim left a bit. The little show off had to put one in his eye. 50 yards, El Cheapo Tasco scope set at 5X
    [img][/img]1467333_10201236727975352_1934409823_n_zps0c2d909a.jpg
  • bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    Well of course she was paying attention to highway mike!!!
    Looks like he might have a second job that starts in the third week of December!!!

Awesome photos.

I just decided I'm going to try to take my 8 yr old before her brownie meeting tomorrow.
    If it's not too chilly. [:I]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigoutside
    Well of course she was paying attention to highway mike!!!
    Looks like he might have a second job that starts in the third week of December!!!

Funny thing, he's a grumpy, garrulous cuss who tried the Santa gig for a while. Didn't have the temperament for it. Turns out he has a soft spot and all the patience in the world for young shooters

quote:Awesome photos.

I just decided I'm going to try to take my 8 yr old before her brownie meeting tomorrow.
    If it's not too chilly. [:I]

That sounds like a FINE idea!
  • guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks and sounds like a great day. Take them when you can get them.

My 15 year old and I went hunting today. We saw 5 does, all within shooting range.....he tells me "I left my license and tags at home." Then he can't be still or quiet while they come out from behind a group of trees. *....they are gone. Two came back about 10 minutes later and he spooked them,too. I called it a day.

I'll try tomorrow with my youngest.
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [^][^][^] Nice post. Oakie
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like a Great day.....
  • retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Saaaa'WEEET !!! [^]
  • dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm glad you had a great day with your daughter! I have had many similar days with my daughters from my first marriage and my son and daughter from my second marriage. They never forget the special times they had with their Dad!!
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like fun!
  • bull300wsmbull300wsm Member Posts: 3,289
    edited November -1
    Looks like she's enjoying it Colonel..I was through Sterling the other day and thought of you..we will have to do some coffee sometime..Bull
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bull300wsm
    Looks like she's enjoying it Colonel..I was through Sterling the other day and thought of you..we will have to do some coffee sometime..Bull

I surely would like to meet ya. We will have to get that done soon.