In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.357 Sig opinions

Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
edited December 2013 in General Discussion
Who has one, which make/model do you have, and what do you think of the gun & round itself? Are you getting close to advertised velocity with factory ammo?

I have a 10mm and have been debating a .357 Sig or possibly a .357 conversion barrel. I like the 10mm(it is a Glock 29SF), but it is a bit much for concealed carry. How does the recoil of the .357 compare to say the .40 S&W?

The round puts up some good velocity numbers and with a well made 9mm bullet, it has to penetrate quite well I would think.

Jon

Comments

• JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, i'd like to know this myself. I am considering a 357sig conv barrel for my G23 slide I bought.

I have not seen 357 sig ammo in a very long time. But I am curious.
  • Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JnRockwall
    Yeah, i'd like to know this myself. I am considering a 357sig conv barrel for my G23 slide I bought.

I have not seen 357 sig ammo in a very long time. But I am curious.

Have you read into the conversion details at all? Such as do the .40 mags work with the .357?

I have a .40 S&W conversion barrel for my aforementioned Glock and just use the 10mm mags without any issues. If I did go with the .357 conversion, it would be pretty cool to be able to fire 3 rounds out of the same gun, with just a simple barrel swap......AKA be able to share the same mags with all 3 calibers. [:D]

Jon
    edited November -1
    With the glock the 40 and the 357sig are the same mag just stamped different cal.

I have a glock 19, so I got a glock 23 upper and a barrel to convert to .40. And I read about the .357sig conversion and thought if I were out $100-$125 for a barrel, I may do that one as well.

If I had thought this out a tad bit better, I would have bought the g23 and then only had to buy the 2 barrels. Saved $200. Oh well.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JnRockwall
    With the glock the 40 and the 357sig are the same mag just stamped different cal.

I have a glock 19, so I got a glock 23 upper and a barrel to convert to .40. And I read about the .357sig conversion and thought if I were out $100-$125 for a barrel, I may do that one as well.

If I had thought this out a tad bit better, I would have bought the g23 and then only had to buy the 2 barrels. Saved $200. Oh well.

Good to know. In theory, if the mags are the same for the .40 and .357....and my 10mm mags work fine with the .40 ammo.....they SHOULD work fine with the .357 as well.

Nothing wrong with having that 2nd slide though. You could always add another frame for less then $250 and have yourself a 2nd gun. [;)]

Jon
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    Got a Springfield XD in 357. Love the round. Very accurate. I also have a Bullberry 12" barrel for my Encore in 357 sig. They had it on sale at a good price and I bought it. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Thought about working up a load and trying it out on hogs.

Don't have a crony so I can't tell velocity but like I said very accurate in my XD and no FTF with factory ammo.
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******
    edited November -1
    I have a SIG Pro 2340 with both the .357Sig and the .40S&W barrel.
    The gun,well,its a SIG,and love it. No issues with it.
    Shooting at the range,I can not tell a difference in the feel or recoil of the gun between the two rounds.
    I personally prefer the .40S&W round as my carry round for defense.
    We had a young Highway Patrolman shot and killed here a little while back. He was able to empty his gun into the bad guy. All he caught was a straight through lung shot.(from side to side) The bad was able to flee,drive aprx.80 miles away to a remote area and off himself. The HP officer had his new issue gun with .357sig ammo. The LEA pulled every .357sig round and gun. I think,but not sure,they went back to .45acp. They say,had he had a .40 cal instead,the bad would have been dead right there too. Would that have saved David that day,probably not,there were several other mistakes made.
    My prejudice of the .357sig round is based off of the incident of the LEO being shot and killed. My preference may or may not be valid,but is,my preference.
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Love, love , love my Gen 3 Glock 32. I love the cartridge...recoil was minor and it packs a punch and is accurate. Ammo availability isn't as great as the .40 but that does not bug me so much as I look for deals and buy as I need. I'm getting close to packing the G32 as an EDC. There are some serious loads out there for it from Buffalo Bore & Double Tap. Prvi Partisan sells boxes of 50 practice ammo for about $22. I'm sure you can reload it a lot cheaper. I will pick up a Lone Wolf barrel in .40 so I can practice more.

2013-01-13144519-1_zps50d1a858.jpg
    edited November -1
    The 23 and the 32 can both be converted to 40/357sig/9mm The glock 19 can only be converted to 40 as the barrel guide is not big enough for a 357sig barrel.

The problem with buying a lower is you put out $150, $225 for a slide (w/o barrel) and $120 for a lone wolf barrel (i prefer threaded) and you are about $20 less than buying the gun and getting the carry case and 2 mags!
  • phipdeerphipdeer Member Posts: 101 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Sig P239 SAS With .357 sig .40 S&W and 9mm barrels. Also have one in 9mm only. I used to think you could always find .357 sig ammo. Don't think that anymore. Can't tell much diff on recoil in the.357 and .40.
    The .40 mags will feed the .357 but not the other way. 9mm mags are not the same.
    I like being able to practice with the 9mm then just switch back, usually to the .357 sig
  • gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a glock 33 in both 357 sig and 40cal.. When I bought the gun it came with the extra barrel and like posted before, the mags are interchangeable.
    I bought a 1000 rounds from Georgia arms before the melt down in both 357 sig and another 1000 in 40 cal. so I'm all set for a while. I like the 357 sig much more than the 9mm but I can't tell much difference in it than the 40.
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Totally agree with MontanaJoe, the 2340 is an awesome piece.
    Have shot a 40 out of a XD and a G22, but neither were all that accurate.
    The 357Sig is akin to the 38Super, in that both almost equal 125gr 357Mag ballistics, but in autoloaders.
    I roll my own most times, so I couldn't give any info on factory velocities; my loads just squirt out the barrel, light recoil (kinda like a 9mm in a full-size gun), and accurate like a laser.

Not sure I'd carry based on a single cop shooting; not enough data there. It also sounds as though the "LEA" was acting out of concern for their insurance, instead of protectionism for their employees.
    Maybe that's why several more agencies in nM and other nearby states have transitioned to the 357Sig.

I've used my 2340 in both calibers (same mag/spring, different barrel) for IDPA-type shoots, and some Action Pistol; I like the controllability of the 357Sig better than the 40, and the mag holds 12.

Not sure why Glocks won't take 357Sig AND 40 in the same mag, especially when the rounds are essentially the same length (within a few mm) of the 10mm. Maybe Gaston had some other rounds in mind.
  • cavman 69cavman 69 Member Posts: 654 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have two SIG 229's, one in .40S&W and one in .357SIG. The recoil relatively the same.
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i love the round ballistically speaking, but i hate being around when someone is firing it, for some reason it has the loudest sharpest report that penetrates ear plugs and muffs
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1fan
    i love the round ballistically speaking, but i hate being around when someone is firing it, for some reason it has the loudest sharpest report that penetrates ear plugs and muffs

I have heard that from a few different people.

I guess it is a ear muffs over the ear plugs type of round. [:)]

Jon
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the Holy Grail, the P226 in 357sig. This pistol is probably one the most accurate pistols I have ever fired.
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    I have the Holy Grail, the P226 in 357sig. This pistol is probably one the most accurate pistols I have ever fired.

The owner's wife of the Gun Shop I used to work at had the 226 Sig Sport in 357sig. That thing could shoot!