In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

HS reunion, Question

OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2015 in General Discussion
Did any of you go[?] It is our 35th reunion and i have never been to one before. I hated all the snobs I went to school with. An old girlfriend has been asking me to go. Her husband, and my wife don't want to go. Were thinking of going, just the two of us on a friendly date. Just to hang out and see everyone. We are both happily married and nothing is going on, nor do we have any interest in each other. Just friends. I just really don't want to go and I am trying to talk myself into going. Her husband and I were best friends growing up and he said it was fine. Besides that, he is 6'7" of pure jar head marine. I don't feel like dying yet[:D]What say you?

Comments

• Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Went to the 10 year reunion but skipped the rest so far.

The folks I want to keep in touch with I keep in touch with.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I graduated from HS in 1966 so next year they'll have a 50 year reunion. I didn't like any of the students then & I care less about them now. About the only point of interest would be to see which ones of the A-holes have died.
  • Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I went to my 20th, and then to my 35th a couple years ago.

Saw a few people that were fun to talk to. Mostly people I had gone all through school with starting in 2nd grade.

Saw way more that caused me to remember why I didn't think much of them in HS. The 35th was only about 10 miles from the house, so it wasn't much effort to get there.
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I went to the 5,10,15 and 20th. They were a lot of fun and I enjoyed them and it was good to see some old friends. Our always had a teacher or coach there to speak so that was fun also.

Missed the last three due to scheduling issues. 40th in a couple of years and I hope to attend it.
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've never had any interest in going and it's been over 55 years for me. In your case, Oakie, you two would sure be the topic of conversation there!
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,934 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I went to my 20th. Was not much. Everyone wanted to know what I did for a living. Told I was a cook at a Waffle House. Did not impress them much. Most were * in High School, after 20 years, they had perfected it! Don
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The wife lived in a small town (Rome NY) her whole life and she knew everyone so she goes to her reunions and has a good time seeing all her friends.

I went to more schools then I can remember and did not have life long friends like that so I never went to any.

Like you Oakie an old girlfriend invited me to go to the last one with her and her husband who I never knew and while I thanked her for the consideration I saw no reason to go.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    graduated in 1961 ...same 4 kept trying to run things like hi school...stupid...went to 45th and took a lot of pic...went to 50 and pulled out pics..they all got OLD...wifes 45th we met Al Bundy.....really ...high school jock reliving the winning touchdown...stuffed into letter shirt, shorts and a corset underneath to hold it all in...think he sold washers and dryers now...we quit going
  • fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never went to any. Last year was the 50th. Classmate I have not seen since graduation came by and asked me to attend. I thought about it a while, then decided why break my record. The best friends I had in high school have passed away. Can't say I really have anything I care to reminisce about with people I haven't seen the last 50.
    It definitely would not be me going with an old girlfriend, unless we were both single. If I had chosen to go, my wife would have gone with me.
  • reload999reload999 Member Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This year is my 45th anniv., and I've never attended one. I really don't know if they even have them anymore, as I moved around so much I'm sure they lost contact with me long ago. Most of my HS friends were older than I, so I had few in my class anyway. As far as your "date," sounds cool as long as it is to those concerned (although I wouldn't do it myself [;)])
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    I agree with most here. I never went to a school reunion. In school, almost everybody was oriented into the groups of jocks, eggheads, prima donnas, etc. Why would anybody want to revisit that?

But an Army reunion would be different. We all lived in the same helmets [:)].
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    My 35yr. reunion was last year.I went to school in NJ and moved to S Fl. the same year.
    I have a few old friends I keep up with.The rest ain't worth the trip..
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mogley98
    The wife lived in a small town (Rome NY) her whole life and she knew everyone so she goes to her reunions and has a good time seeing all her friends.

I went to more schools then I can remember and did not have life long friends like that so I never went to any.

Like you Oakie an old girlfriend invited me to go to the last one with her and her husband who I never knew and while I thanked her for the consideration I saw no reason to go.

Rome, NY is my hometown. It wasn't that small until BRAC closed Griffiss Air Force Base.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    For the most part women get better looking up to 45 after that no contest men hold up better than women[^][}:)][;)]
  • jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,195 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There was less than 20 in my class and after over thirty years there hasn't been a reunion and I doubt there will.
  • pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Went to my 10 year and my 30 year . People really do not change much over 30 years .The good folks are still good , the *%%^^&& are still that .A#$%%^^ outweighed the good at my school 10 to 1 .Besides the ones I wanted to keep in contact with I have .As for the rest I have been here for the past 40 some years .Listed in
    the phone book ain't like I have been hard to find
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    You are old enough to say no to things you don't want to do. Having an innocent date is a bad idea most of the time.
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,309 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pulsarnc
    Besides the ones I wanted to keep in contact with I haveYep, same here. I graduated in 1979, and have never been to a reunion. No intention of going either.
  • festusfestus Member Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm always surprised at the ones that invite me, always the ones that had their noses in the air when we were walking the halls. Would not have anything to do with us rednecks. Now they act like they are we are best buds. Been 30 years and haven't been to one yet. Maybe I'm missing out, but I will take that chance.
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my 40 th will be this year ( 1975 ) have never been to one of the previous ones and I have seen maybe 10 people over the years I graduated with since then spread out over that 40 years , do not keep in touch with any of them .
    thought about going for the heck of it
    when I was younger I wanted to go to maybe the 10 year and just kick the snot out of some of the ones I never liked and gave me a ruff time in school , but I was better than that .
    now its just curiosity on what become of them some of the old buddy's , I guess why I am even thinking about it .
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,616 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you should go. I don't like those sorts of things myself either, but I missed the only reunion we have had because I was in the Navy at the time. I think if you go you will have fun talking to everyone and catching up. If you don't go you might wish you had and it sounds like your friend could really use the company. It would be nice of you to go even though you don't really want to just so she is sure to be able to attend.

If we have another reunion I'll go....I can't stand most of the people that will be there, but the ones I like are worth putting up with a little mess for.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Small town and 52 in my class and we have a great time and I have attended most and had our 50 year reunion 2 years ago. My home town now holds it on Memorial wkend and honors the class at 50 reunion. Big weekend for the town when all classes return home and a cruse night around the town square. Old cars new cars and just about anything that will run till 11pm[:p]
  • BikerBobBikerBob Member Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had fun at the 5 year. GF ( now wife's) and I were Still inebriated from a NASCAR race that afternoon I guess.
    Went to others and didn't have much fun, too many azzhats, yup the same ones! Told her after the last one (35) if I ever wanted to go again,she should remind me of that.

On the other hand I usually have a good time at hers, just more fun group of people I guess.

So I guess it all depends on the people that show up.
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I mostly hung out with the class one and two years ahead of me. My uncle peter, is a year older them me and we hung out like brothers. All my close personal friends today are five to ten years older then me. my best friend is 62 and I am 52. I was the one in HS that always had the shotgun in my pickup truck to go hunting after school. About 90% of the other students, drove their daddy's BMW to school with their plastic girlfriends and Rolex watches. Funny thing though, I ended up having fun with most of their girlfriends while they were at wrestling and football practice[;)] Hated school and hated the other students even more. Just curious to see how many fell on their faces because daddy's trust fund ran out.
  • 17tobyracing17tobyracing Member Posts: 3,429 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Don McManus
    Went to the 10 year reunion but skipped the rest so far.

The folks I want to keep in touch with I keep in touch with.

Same situation, but I only went to my 25th...
  • moonshinemoonshine Member Posts: 8,471
    edited November -1
    DON'T go............
  • 35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Our 10 year reunion was in 2008. I didn't walk the mile or so across town to attend it, let alone drive there. I wouldn't piss on that lot, if they were on fire, unless I was pissing Jet A at the time.[}:)]
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Everyone is different. Some love them, some hate them. I love them. Been to all that we have had and after 50 years we have a golden reunion thing with everyone who graduated 50 years or more ago is invited. Fun catching up with both older and younger people that I know. Small town and everyone knows everyone. Wife has not gone to the last two. Some people get nicer, some not. Fun to see how the women hold up. A lot of the lookers in high school are not now. Some that you wouldn't look twice at in high school have held up well. If you want to go, go and enjoy.
  • EVILDR235EVILDR235 Member Posts: 4,398 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They don't hold reunions for middle school dropouts,if they did i might go.I was kicked out 50 years ago next Saturday.Never looked back. I have done ok and i am now retired.Married 40 years and still alive.A lot of the people i went to school with are not.

EvilDr235
  • Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,176 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ray B
    I graduated from HS in 1966 so next year they'll have a 50 year reunion. I didn't like any of the students then & I care less about them now. About the only point of interest would be to see which ones of the A-holes have died.

It sounds like you and I were in the same class. I would have written pretty much the same thing. [:)]
  • MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    I'd like to go to one, and have it turn out like "Carrie" !!

My classmates were knotheads, and the girls were stuck up.
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I seem to notice a pattern [:D][:D] on the responses and they way we all feel
    I can see part of why I like this forum and the people so well [;)]
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I only went one year to the school I graduated from. I went to, I think, the tenth year reunion & there was only one person I recognized & that was a guy I didn't like.
    I might go to the sixtieth in four years for the school I went to before that if they have one & I last that long.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I went to my 5 and 10 year ones, we didn't have a 15th... 20th is coming up in 3 years. If we have one, I'll go.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did not like them in 1976 and 39 years later nothing has changed. Never went to a reunion and don't intend on going. I would not go with a ex-GF, it is inappropriate and disrespectful of your wife. Go with wife and ex-GF or stay home. Wife is #1 no other woman matters.
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nope never went, mainly because they said they couldn't find me. I said did you try looking in the phone book. They managed to find my cousin living down in Texas married to some black guy in the middle of no where. I was living 2 miles from the high school. Besides the girl I dated and most of my friends were in the class behind me.
  • andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Definitely go. You will find that everyone has mellowed and you really shouldn't hold grudges for what some high school kid said or did to you 40 years ago. Most of us were a lot dumber back then. I had a great time at my 40th. It was fun to compare notes on what we had all done in the 4 decades after high school.
    Besides, in the slim chance that you don't enjoy yourself, there is nothing keeping you there. Bail out on the dinner and other events and take in the sights and culture of the city. Why waste the trip?[:D]
  • LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Went to our 10th.

All of the Jocks married to the popular cheerleaders and majorettes that were to good to give anyone but a jock the time of day.. Jocks working as ditch diggers for the Department of Highways or sales clerks at Walmart being hen pecked by their 350 lb Rosie O'Donnell look alike cheerleader wives. So much misery that I did not know if I should feel sorry for them or laugh..

So the crowd that I hung with and still do for the most part just stood around all day snickering..[:o)]
  • nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    Small school and small class about 20 miles east of Rome, NY. I'm not exactly a social butterfly, I didn't much care for school, and the majority of my class I either didn't know or didn't care for.

Fifty years later I have no ties to Poland, NY. Haven't had any for many many years. For some reason we were never terribly close as a class and to my knowledge have never had an official reunion. And if we did have one I wouldn't have gone.

No sense in pretending or hoping for something different after so many years. I can't think of much I'd like to share or remember. I didn't hate anyone then and I don't now. I'm just indifferent to a time so long ago and see little reason to go back.

As to attending a class reunion with the wife of a friend? A man and a woman can be friends and nothing more. As long as everything remains open and public I see no problem. Just make sure it stays that way.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Different strokes for different folks I guess. Missed the 10 year, but was told all the old cliques fell back together and people were busy trying to impress each other with how successful they were.

Went to the 20 year reunion and by that point the posturing was mostly over, and people were glad to see each other. Reconnected with some old friends and one old girlfriend.

Missed 30 and 40 because I was out of the country.

50 was a real hoot, everyone happy to be the ones still alive I think, but genuine joy in seeing old friends.

Class of about 400. I knew 90% of the class. As of now 62 are gone. The rate at which we lose them is accelerating.