In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

An Actual Gun Question

M1GarandloverM1Garandlover Member Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2010 in General Discussion
Lately I have been thinking that since I have a plethora of 22LR that I should acquire a 22 revolver and a 22 semi auto handgun for plinking/target shooting. So my question to you is...

What type of 22 revolver do you have or recommend? I am partial to S&W

What type of semi auto would you recommend?
Ruger?
I was thinking of a Walther P22 but I have heard that they are not the friendly with all ammo.

Thanks

Comments

• M1GarandloverM1Garandlover Member Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    An actual gun question.

I am looking for parts list and or a schematic to a colt 1873 S.A.A. 2nd generation in .45 colt. Can you guys here help?
  • RustyBonesRustyBones Member Posts: 4,956
    edited November -1
    An older Smith k-22 or if you want something more modern, a 617 10 shot.

For the auto, a Smith 41, High Standard, or any of the Ruger models.

in my opinion anyway [8D]
  • partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RustyBones
    An older Smith k-22 or if you want something more modern, a 617 10 shot.

For the auto, a Smith 41, High Standard, or any of the Ruger models.

in my opinion anyway [8D]

+1
  • austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Walther P22 and no problem with ammo.
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RustyBones told you right. I also like the H&R 999 if you can find one.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    My personal preference is Ruger.

MKII if you can find one.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The older K22 is nice, but difficult to find. New ones are available, but > $1K.

I like the older 422/622 auto. Not a fine target gun like the 41, but a great plinker & trail gun. Plus, it's light & easy to operate, so a great gun for a woman or child to learn with.

Neal
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    You simply cannot go wrong with a S&W K-22/Model 17. If you want something in stainless than the Model 617 is fine, but I personally don't care for it nearly as much as the old Model 17s.
    [img][/img]SWM17.jpg

For a .22 automatic you might consider a High Standard Sharpshooter. This is a solid High Standard pistol without the fancy target options tacked on to it and it makes a great all around .22 pistol:
    [img][/img]HSSHarpshooter.jpg
  • bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
  • GashaulerGashauler Member Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Ruger MKIII with a 5" bull barrel after market target grips and a compensator and my nephew has a P22 (I think, came with a laser, threaded barrel and changeable backstraps). I like mine better because of the grips and the weight. 10,000 rounds and never been taken completely apart to be cleaned and never had a problem with it. No problems with the walther and not nearly that much ammo through it but it just doesn't feel the same.

The new Rugers have the mag release in the same place as a 1911 but you still have to pull the mag out.

Don't know what to tell you for a revolver other than get one with interchangable cylinders that way you can shoot .22 mags if you get bored with the .22 lr.
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The ones mentioned above and these are good to
    [img][/img]Picture072.jpg
    [img][/img]RugerSingleSix.jpg
  • Atyre5Atyre5 Member Posts: 287 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only problem with Rugers is the mag can be finky on the first round, but they shoo great
  • JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the S&W Model 422 and you can't go wrong there. Yeah, it's aluminum frame but it is a sweet gun. And they have held or increased in value since they were discontinued.

I like the Walther P22 and the Sig Mosquito but they only come with 1 10 rnd mag and that just pi55e5 me off.

I would also suggest finding 9 shot revolver with a 6 shot .22 mag cylinder. Just make sure it's a swing out model. Those can be fun and they shoot anything .22. The revolver pictured is actually a 6 shot cowboy gun. I have to load and unload 1 rnd at a time and it sucks. Thats why I say get the 9 shot.

I also have a Ruger MKIII MK512 22/45 never fired. But i can't say much about it because... But Rugers are good. And in all honesty the ONLY thing that can hold you back is your budget. And if that isn't a problem, then I would say buy what feels good, looks cool and shoots a wide variety of ammo (.22 short - .22 Mag including those super cobri rounds that use the primer only (no powder). I can't recall anyone ever saying "I hate this fing gun, wish I had never bought it" when speaking of their .22 pistol.

outback2.jpg

heritage22.jpg
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
  • CHEVELLE427CHEVELLE427 Member Posts: 6,750
    edited November -1
    DAUGHTER HAS A P22 WENT THROUGH A HOUSE FIRE STILL WORKS FINE.

me i have 2 mkII and 1 22-45 MK III

NOW BROWNING NOMAD OR SOMETHING ON THAT LINE .......GREAT GUNS
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the Ruger, haven't tried the Colt yet:

DSC01167-1.jpg
    What's next?
  • williamg63williamg63 Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bought my wife a Walther P22,she enjoys shooting it. Does well with what we have used, CCI,Fed.and Rem. Not a long-range target pistol. Happy with the purchase.
  • legionkahnlegionkahn Member Posts: 4,055
    edited November -1
    My choice for the semi 22, would be a cz75 kadet[^][^][^]
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get a Buckmark. The older High Standards are not able to eat a steady diet of high-speed 22 ammo, the frames will crack.
  • MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can not go wrong with a Ruger Single Six .22Lr/22 Mag and a Ruger MKII or Mk III 22 LR with a bull barrel. Buy them both and own them for life..
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    H&R 976 Just love mine. Accurate better than I am.

dscn16262.jpg

Found new shooters love it too.
  • dan kellydan kelly Member Posts: 9,799
    edited November -1
    iv`e got a ruger 22/45 and iv`e never had a problem with it. it shoots accurate too.

and iv`e got a ruger single six as well as a colt new frontier...both shoot very well.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I suggest a S&W 22a for your auto. Nice guns.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    Get a Buckmark. The older High Standards are not able to eat a steady diet of high-speed 22 ammo, the frames will crack.

Good point. I don't know about cracked frames, but the 41 is designed for standard velocity ammo as well.
  • traprtrapr Member Posts: 199 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    for semi I have a stainless ruger match target with 5,5 barrel,next semi will be a second generation colt woodsman match target.wheel gun,prefer the high standard sentinel.
  • DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some of my favorite 22 handguns:

The 22 Combat Masterpiece (Model 18):

standard.jpg

The K22 masterpiece (Model 17):

standard.jpg

The Colt Officers Model Target:

standard.jpg

A later Officers Model Match:

standard.jpg

The Diamondback is horrendously pricey these days but very nice:

standard.jpg

You can't go wrong with a Ruger 22 auto. This one for plinking:

standard.jpg

This one for serious shooting:

standard.jpg

But really, any well made 22 pistol is a joy.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • mango tangomango tango Member Posts: 3,833 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Colt Diamondback .22LR, next best thing to a Python!
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a older 1960's era Ruger Standard auto but a new MkIII would be hard to beat-especially with a 5 1/2" bull barrel. For revolvers if you like S&W as others have said you cannot beat a K-22 in any of it's various configurations. If you go single action revolver then either a Ruger Single Six or Bearcat-- if a Colt find ya a nice older New Frontier. I also had an older H&R 686 that I was stupid and sold years ago-it was a dandy sixgun.
  • GoatroperGoatroper Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JamesRK
    RustyBones told you right. I also like the H&R 999 if you can find one.

Why, shucks, Jim, I wisht Ida knowed you was one of them when you was over thisaway. Ida showed you my antique (the one in my range bag, not the one behind my zipper. You'd prob'ly only want to see the one what works.) First handgun I ever fired was my Dad's H&R Sportsman. That was the early version. In early '50s it became the 999. Earlier had the fat target grips, and were a dream to shoot. A 999 is worth its price if you can find a goodern. If you really luck out -- and there are still a few on the auctions -- and can find a Sportsman in good condition don't pass it up.

It's a sweet shooter. In lawyer-ruled America they don't make 'em like that any more, and more's the pity. If you find a good one it's accurate, easy to shoot and maintain, and the closest thing to an orgasm in steel you're wont to find. There are some things engineers did right, and this is one.
  • 45forme45forme Member Posts: 948 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What about a Sig Mosquito? I have a new Ruger MKIII and am not impressed. I like my Browning Buckmark better. For plinking I would think the Smith and Wesson Model 41 would be pretty good.

I would say you need to hold and pull the trigger on each before you buy.
  • 35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For a semi-auto, it's pretty hard to beat a Ruger Standard. You'd be hard pressed to wear one out. I prefer the pre-Mk models.

For a revolver (I know I'll probably get laughed at for this), I like the older Charter Arms Pathfinder with a 6" barrel.
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't see the logic of a single action 22. Nostalgia maybe. I know they shoot well and are fun but very tedious to load. Just my personal opinion of course because Ruger sells a ton of them. Maybe because when I shoot 22, I like to shoot a lot of them. Ruger auto's are cheap,easy to find, and good shooters-can't go wrong with those.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Revolver? DAN Wesson.

Auto? Ruger or Buckmark.
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Goatroper, I got my 999 in January 1979. I loaned it to my brother once and sure enough, he managed to lose the rear sight. It's hard to find parts for those things. The guy at Numrich told me I'd better not lose this one, 'cause I just bought the last one there was.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • GoatroperGoatroper Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JamesRK
    Goatroper, I got my 999 in January 1979. I loaned it to my brother once and sure enough, he managed to lose the rear sight. It's hard to find parts for those things. The guy at Numrich told me I'd better not lose this one, 'cause I just bought the last one there was.

Good you found the sight when you did.

I came into possession of my Dad's old (mfg mid- to late 30s) Sportsman some years ago -- unfortunately, that was after someone had apparently fired it with an obstruction in the barrel, making a nice bulge halfway down. Real heartbreaker, but still valuable to me. I can remember him helping me fire it when I wasn't big enough to hold it up by myself.

Came across another some years later, mfg. 1950 and in very good shape -- and reasonably priced. Great shooter.