In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Teaching kids how to shoot???

bigboy12bigboy12 Member Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2010 in General Discussion
I have no children of my own, but I have several nieces and nephews who range in age between 8-13 yrs old. The boys love to shoot and we are teaching them every safety rule that we know of. I am not a certified instructor, but I was raised around firearms all my life and have a carry permit which recquires a safety course. My 13 and 15 year old nieces do not have any interest in learning how to shoot and we will not force them to do so. My question is how do we get them interested in learning to shoot for self protection. Maybe you fathers can help this concerned uncle. Thanks!

Comments

• GashaulerGashauler Member Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My nephews were 8 and 12. I got lucky though, they thought I was cool and they wanted to do everything that Uncle Kevin did.

Now that I am done bragging you might want to take them out when you take the other kids, when they see how much fun they are having shooting the older ones might want to join in. That is the only thought I have. I do know that if you try to force them they will go the other way as that is the age they are at.

One other thing you could try is talk to some of their friends and see if they want to go (with the parents permission of course). They are at the age that friends have alot of influence and this could swing them in right direction.

Good luck n have fun
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    I have to agree with GAs... If U can get them to the range/back yard, wherever it y'all shoot.It will take mere SECONDS, before they will want to compete.
    Make it a FRIENDLY competition and the BIG KIDS will want to show-up the youngins!![;)]
  • buffalobobuffalobo Member Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lots of ways, just find out which one catches thier intrest.

There are vidoes of teenage girls shooting in competitions on youtube.

Ask your wife, mother, sister or some other woman you know who is a shooter to ask them to tag along.

Find out which boys they giggle over and see if thier families are shooters.

Have an "adult" talk with them about the responsibility of self defense.

Check to see if local 4-H group has shooting team, they may know some of them.

Ask them to read the first chapter of Paxton Quigley's "Armed and Female in an unsafe World".

Bribery, offer to have pizza party after a trip to the range. Most people once they pull the trigger and see the hole in the paper are hooked.

And finally, as a father I ordered them to go to the range and at least try it.

Whatever it takes, I believe they should at least have the experience of firing guns and understand the safety and handling.
  • iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Might I suggest you teach em to shoot before you teach em to shoot for "self protection"?

One on one instruction is the way I suggest you start. Once they all have demonstrated they know ALL the safety rules you might want to think about adding some competition, but I'd limit it to two shooters if you are the only adult. It only takes one "mistake" to ruin the day.

And, you as the adult, can't shoot while the kids are. It's your responsibility to keep an eye on em and keep them all safe.

Eye and Ear protection for ALL is a must.

It's not easy, but the rewards are priceless.

The four basic safety rules covers most issues (and the KISS principal works well with kids: Keep It Simple Stupid):

RULES FOR SAFE GUN HANDLING

1. ALWAYS TREAT A FIREARM AS IF IT IS LOADED.

2. ALWAYS KEEP THE FIREARM POINTED IN A SAFE DIRECTION.

3. ALWAYS KEEP THE FIREARM UNLOADED UNTIL READY TO SHOOT.

4. ALWAYS KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL READY TO SHOOT.
  • bigcitybillbigcitybill Member Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might try explaining that a firearm for self-defense is an emergency survival tool, as is a fire extinguisher or flotation device.
  • iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    started both my daughter and son at age 5

Key (in my mind) is making sure that they can focus and pay attention for 15 minutes w/o issues. Essential for that first range trip.

Started w/ a demo of what happens to a milk jug full of water when hit with a 45 (or anything else suitably big and impressive - watermelon & 12 ga. works too).

Then work on safe handling, range rules, how cold range vs. hot range works, and finish your 15 minutes wiht a few rounds out of a 22.

Next range trip start wtih review of rules, etc. and more shooting.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Encourage the other young shooters to talk about how much fun shooting is. I had a young woman visiting who was basically anitgun. Daughter and I went to my range to shoot a few rounds and by the time we left the anti had fired some shots. She even took her target home and put it on the fridge to prove she'd done it. I was showing daughter a handgun with Crimson Trace grips and handed the piece to the visitor not knowing she had never touched a handgun before. She was surprised but interested in the laser and receptive to a little safety training on the spot. When she left, she no longer had a generic fear of firearms and an understanding of simple safety rules for their handling. Made my day!
  • EwelkerEwelker Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For my girls it can be difficult. I had an exchange student from Canada who loved to shoot and we went often and when she visits we always make a trip to the range. For my own girls (I have two Daughters) The younger one has always had an interest. For the older one her boyfriend was the key. Most boys want to shoot and the girls like to be involved in an activity with their boyfriends. Once you get them to try it they are hooked with or without the boyfriends. I took my 22 year old to the range for the first time in December because her boyfriend wanted to shoot. Started her out with a .22 and she ended the day with the .357. She now asks when we can go again.
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    noise. make noise. its what gets them interested.
    they liketo see see things get hit. cans, clay targets etc...
    then deal with accurate shooting later.
    a kids attention span is about 20 minutes.
    shoot a lot of ammo and make lots of noise.....safely.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bobski
    noise. make noise. its what gets them interested.
    they liketo see see things get hit. cans, clay targets etc...
    then deal with accurate shooting later.
    a kids attention span is about 20 minutes.
    shoot a lot of ammo and make lots of noise.....safely.

Yup! My kids LOVE reactive targets. Jugs of water, water or regular balloons....tannerite (in smallish amounts!).

My kids have been shooting .22s since they were 5 or 6 years old. I never pushed the accuracy thing, they do that all by themselves. I even have them shooting the .22s at 100yds now. They can keep 20 shots on an 8" target and we are all happy with that.