In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hoping there's an Army cavalry trooper on here...

Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
edited May 2015 in General Discussion
I know someone who recently got out of the army....was originally an MP, then transferred into an intel job. Remained in that position until he got out.

I saw a picture of him on facebook wearing a black Stetson hat with blue cord.

As I understand it....in the Army, blue cord represents the Infantry.

Isn't yellow cord for the cavalry? And how did an intel dude end up with this uniform item?

Comments

• babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only people I ever saw wearing a black Stetson in the Army were helicopter pilots and crew with a Yellow cord and Calvary scouts (any rank) with a blue cord.

Blue = Infantry
    Yellow = Calvary
    Green/Yellow = MP
    Maroon = Airborne

The cords may be worn by a person as long as they maintain primary MOS then they must be removed.

Example: An infantryman can wear the blue cord as long as he maintains an infantryman PMOS. If he changes job MOS and becomes say a tank crewman as his PMOS then the cord must go.
  • TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Post removed:

Trinity +++
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I was in the 2/1 Armored Cav. in Viet Nam. Our unit was reflagged 11 years ago at Ft. Lewis WA., myself and a few other Viet Nam era Cav. members attended the ceremony. When the Cavalry flag was raised, all the unit members took their black berets off and put black Stetson hats on, with yellow braided hat bands.
    W.D.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TrinityScrimshaw
    Not only Chopper Pilots wear the stetsons.

My Daughter just got assigned to the 3rd Cav Regiment at Fort Hood, and she informed me that as an Officer she was required to buy a Stetson, but that she can't wear it until she gets her cord, and she can't find the right one yet.

I'll have to ask her what color the 3rd Cav uses.?

Trinity +++

As an Officer. She may wear a black cord.
  • Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LesWVa
    The only people I ever saw wearing a black Stetson in the Army were helicopter pilots and crew with a Yellow cord and Calvary scouts (any rank) with a blue cord.

Example: An infantryman can wear the blue cord as long as he maintains an infantryman PMOS. If he changes job MOS and becomes say a tank crewman as his PMOS then the cord must go.

Ok....so he would have to have infantry mos or cav scout to wear a Stetson with a Blue Cord?
    edited November -1
    Post removed:

Trinity +++
  • KenthetoolmanKenthetoolman Member Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I served in the 1st Cav at Fort Hood and only ones I saw with all blue cords were infantry but some air Cav I saw wore an orange and blue cord.
  • Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So, what exactly is the difference between a cavalry scout and an infantryman assigned to a cav unit?
    edited November -1
    Post removed:

Trinity +++
    edited November -1
    Post removed:

Trinity +++
    edited November -1
    TrinityScrimshaw
    It has changed since I was in. At the time you only saw Helicopter Pilots (Warrant and Company/Field grade officers) and crew members (crew chief, door gunner, medic) wore Stetsons with a gold cord and Cavalry hat pin. Our pins had a 5 over 3 on the sabers. I started as a door gunner and made it to crew chief with D Trp, 3rd Sqdn, 5th Cav, 9th In Div (Ft Lewis WA) at the time. Our main job was insertion and extraction which we worked a lot with the 2/75th Rangers then.
    ================

quote:Originally posted by Rack Ops
    So, what exactly is the difference between a cavalry scout and an infantryman assigned to a cav unit?

Nothing. A 19D (Cav Scout) is just a job title. Like a 19E is a combat tank crewman or a 11C Mortar Crewman. Cav Scouts are often found mixed in with Infantry or Armour units. The 9th Infantry Division, Ft Lewis when I was there had Tank Battalions, Infantry Regiments and Air Cavalry and all had Cav Scouts assigned to them.
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He had blue cord because the color of MI is Blue albeit a different shade of blue than the Infantry.

MI= Oriental blue

IN= Infantry Blue
    RLTW

• Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    LesWVa,

I sent her a text asking her what color she wore, and she said she found one, and that it was Black & Gold.

I asked her what the colors stood for but she has not responded yet?

I know she is a Signal Officer, so I wonder it the Gold has anything to do with that?

Trinity +++

If she is signal coprs she should have orange with white piping. If she is electronic warfare she should have yellow with black piping.

I am assuming the cord you are talking about is the one that goes around their hat.

The Infantry Branch is only allowed a "Blue Cord" which is worn around the left arm at the shoulder. It is the only branch that has that right. If the unit is entitled to wear a Fourragere lanyard it is worn on the right side. This correct with older Army Green uniform and the new Army blue uniform.
    RLTW

edited November -1
    Post removed:

Trinity +++
  • MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    "Charlie don't Surf!"
  • andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LesWVa

Blue = Infantry
    Yellow = Calvary
    Green/Yellow = MP
    Maroon = Airborne

Highly doubtful that ANYONE at Calvary wore a Stetson. (There is a wee bit of difference between Calvary and Cavalry.) Ask a Cavalry Chaplain to explain. [;)][;)][:D]
    edited November -1
    This a picture of my daughter in her new Stetson.

Picture removed by request.

Trinity +++
    edited November -1
    Very pretty lady Trinity. You have a right to be proud of her.

3rd Cav, Brave Rifles.. What Squadron did she land with?
    edited November -1
    Post removed:

Trinity +++
    edited November -1
    Regimental Headquarters and Headquarters Troop.
    edited November -1
    Post removed:

Trinity +++
  • MillironMilliron Member Posts: 271 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not to beat there their and they're to death. but i am pretty sure Calvary is the name of a place in Israel. I think cavalry involves horses.
    edited November -1
    Yea, Milliron, it was mentioned (or should I say Horse whipped?) previously in an above post.

Trinity +++
    edited November -1
    FYI:

My daughter called me all upset that the picture I had posted of her above was on GB.

Apparently someone in her unit who uses GB found it here and was harassing her about it.

She doesn't need a reason to be pissed off at me, it comes natural for her. So, I removed it per her request.[:(!]

Trinity +++
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    FYI:

My daughter called me all upset that the picture I had posted of her above was on GB.

Apparently someone in her unit who uses GB found it here and was harassing her about it.

She doesn't need a reason to be pissed off at me, it comes natural for her. So, I removed it per her request.[:(!]

Trinity +++
    I bet it's still on GOOGLE...[:(!][:(!]