In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Couldn't Bring Myself to Buy the S&W 629

FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2016 in General Discussion
After all the advice (http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=677429), I had my mind made up on the S&W 629. Went over to the store to make the buy, but after another good look at the thing (2 of them actually), I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Granted, the action was very smooth. That said, S&W quality must not be what it used to be. The stainless finish was really rough, with lots of machine marks (far rougher than my Ruger), and I just could not get over the "case hardened" hammer and trigger. They absolutely looked like garbage - like somebody burned them in a campfire and installed them straight on the gun. Paying that much for a revolver, I'd expect a lot more, so I passed.

In the end, I think I'm going to go another way and stick with Ruger. I think this will be just the ticket....if I can ever find it at a good price:

Ruger28.jpg

Comments

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    The redhawk is second to none, IMO.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Redhawk is generally a better bargain...
    "What is truth?'
  • pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wpageabc
    Redhawk is generally a better bargain...
    ...and a better pistole....
  • medic07medic07 Member Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the Rugers as well (love my GP100 and SP101).

I have noticed the new S&W wheel guns are not as finely finished as they used to be. I look at the 586 and 686 all the time and they are just not as finely finished. I was thinking perhaps you had found a nice pre-owned 629.
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would look for a good used 629. I find a lot of them, very reasonably priced. I like the 8 3/8" barrel. I had three of them, now just the one that I keep at the cabin. Oakie
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited November -1
    You have to upgrade to the Performance Center S&W's to get the quality of fit and finish of old.
    Luckily, not that much more money.
  • FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by diver-rig
    Sorry, I find the pic of your red hawk above to be just as ugly as select fires new Camaro. Make that fugly!

But, alas, it matters not what Bert thinks, just ask my wife!

Hmm....maybe. But guns are sometimes like women.... the uglier ones are tougher, work better, and serve you longer. [:D]
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Oakie
    I would look for a good used 629. I find a lot of them, very reasonably priced. I like the 8 3/8" barrel. I had three of them, now just the one that I keep at the cabin. Oakie

exactly, anything pre-lock.
  • bearman49709bearman49709 Member Posts: 503
    edited November -1
    I traded my RH for a 629, best thing I ever did. The 629 is a much better gun than a RH could ever be.