In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

How did that happen Lawyer boy

Franz?Franz? Member Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2016 in General Discussion
Sort of looks like some people who listened to fast talking injury lawyers got a surprise.

CENTENNIAL, Colo. - Attorneys for the Cinemark theater chain want victims of a 2012 shooting at a Colorado movie theater to pay nearly $700,000 in legal fees after they unsuccessfully sued the company.

The company's lawyers told a judge they need the money to cover the costs of preserving evidence, retrieving and copying records, travel and other expenses, according to court documents filed this month.

A judge didn't immediately rule on the request. But Colorado courts allow the winning side of a court case to recover legal fees.

Jurors in May ruled in Cinemark's favor over 28 victims and their families who argued the nation's third-largest theater chain should have done more to prevent the attack that killed 12 people and left more than 70 others injured.

They sued in state court, saying security lapses allowed for the July 20, 2012 attack at a midnight premiere of a "The Dark Night Rises," a Batman film, in Aurora, Colo.

A judge last week dismissed a similar lawsuit in federal court, saying Cinemark's lack of security was not a substantial factor in the deaths.

In both lawsuits, victims cited a lack of guards and no alarm on an emergency exit door that would have sounded when James Holmes slipped into the crowded theater and started shooting.

Cinemark argued it could not have foreseen the attack, and nothing could have stopped the heavily armed Holmes. Lawyers for the plaintiffs in the state case have said they are considering appealing the verdict.

Holmes is serving a life sentence after a different group of jurors could not unanimously agree on whether he deserved to die.

Comments

• pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    should be the best "Tort Reform" available...
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would sue the State and City for allowing the stupidity of a gun free zone; much more accurately described as a target rich environment devoid of common sense.
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    So I guess every business should be expected to provide professional security ? We are NOT a police state.......
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dakotashooter2
    So I guess every business should be expected to provide professional security ? We are NOT a police state.......

100% agreed. The filing of frivolous lawsuits cost people and companies a lot of money that should be reimbursed.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Frivolous is the word for the ambulance chasing lawyers today...
    "What is truth?'
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "We are NOT a police state" ... yet, dakota.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • WranglerWrangler Member Posts: 5,788
    edited November -1
    Loser should pay! Their lawsuit made the business incur legal fees. They lost, so they should pay the theater's fees.
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dakotashooter2
    Well, allow me to play devil's advocate. If the business's policy is that you are to be unarmed and defenseless when utilizing their services, then perhaps yes? With the stipulation that there is not a suitable alternative that does not put undue burden on the consumer.

So, for example, say that in your small town, the only local grocer requires you to be unarmed when on the premises and the next grocery store is in the next town 30 miles away.

Should the government require them to provide security, if they continue to maintain that policy?

The above example is apples and oranges different than the movie theater of the instant decision because the movie theater is entertainment... a luxury, whereas groceries are not commonly viewed as being so.

Keep in mind that I am an advocate for private rights: that the business has the right to conduct their business as they see fit.

I am actually a bit on the fence on this one.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain