In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Man Obtains Obama's Purported Social Security #

steveaustinsteveaustin Member Posts: 852 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2011 in General Discussion
gazette

Springs man's claim to have Obama records starts buzz

March 29, 2011 5:47 PM
MATT STEINER
THE GAZETTE

A Colorado Springs "birther," retired Air Force Col. Gregory Hollister, has Internet blogs abuzz with what may be an illegal foray into an online Social Security data base and how he obtained a copy of President Barack Obama's draft registration from 1980.

"Col. Greg Hollister, USAF (Ret.) contacted the Selective Service, falsely impersonated President Obama, improperly registered his own address as President Obama's address, and by this false impersonation and identity theft he managed to obtain a duplicate registration acknowledgement card with President Obama's Selective Service information on it," a blogger posted on gratewire.com last week. "This may violate several federal criminal statutes, and apparently caused the federal record of President Obama's address with the Selective Service to be altered to show that he lives in Colorado Springs, CO."

Hollister said Tuesday a private investigator, Susan Daniels of Ohio, gave him what is purported to be the president's Social Security number. He then accessed the Social Security Number Verification Service to find out to whom it was issued and to access Selective Service documents.

The site allows registered users to verify names and Social Security numbers for employment purposes and warns that using it under false pretenses is a violation of federal law.

"According to the Social Security Administration, that number was never issued," said Hollister, who challenged whether the president is an American citizen in a lawsuit the U.S. Supreme Court refused to hear Jan. 18 without requiring a response from the White House.
However, that's the Social Security number that appears on the Selective Service documents Hollister obtained.

Hollister and others in the birther movement claim Obama was born in either Kenya or Indonesia and that his birth certificate showing he was born in Honolulu in 1961 is a forgery.

Being born outside the U.S. makes him ineligible to be president, they claim, because the Constitution requires the president to be a natural born citizen.

Hollister said the Social Security number on what he says is Obama's draft registration begins with the numbers 042, which would be issued to someone born in Connecticut, not Hawaii.

Last week, California attorney Orly Taitz, who has led the legal challenges to Obama's citizenship, filed an amended complaint in her latest lawsuit demanding Obama's Social Security records, attaching as an exhibit the draft registration mailed to an address in Colorado Springs, according to the Reality Check Radio Blog.

It is unknown if the U.S. Attorney's Office in Denver is investigating Hollister's use of the data bases and obtaining Obama's draft records.

Hollister denied breaking any laws.

"I was very meticulous and made sure everything I did was compliant with the law," Hollister said, noting that he sent Obama an 1099 tax form.

A 1099 is an IRS income reporting form for independent contractors and free-lancers. Hollister did not explain how sending that to Obama complies with federal laws on the use of Social Security data.

Daniels said her doubts about Obama's citizenship have only been reinforced by what Hollister found out.

Hollister said he started questioning Obama's citizenship because as a retired Air Force officer he is subject to recall to active duty until he dies and he needs to be sure that Obama has the authority to give those orders.

Comments

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    Meh, SSN's don't mean that you were born in the state that you obtained one from. Mine is of Oregon origin, because at the time that it was issued to me, that is where I happened to be residing, albeit VERY temporarily. I was born in WA, however.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Hollister said the Social Security number on what he says is Obama's draft registration begins with the numbers 042, which would be issued to someone born in Connecticut, not Hawaii."

Totally unreliable. I used to know a guy who would pull that as a parlor trick. Let him look at your SSAN and he would tell you your birth state. Yes, it works a lot of the time. But, it is not 100% reliable. My brother's and my kids' SSANs were randomly assigned by the government. They do NOT accurately reflect their birth location. As much as I suspect BO is not natural born, SSAN numbers are worthless for that matter.
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    "The site allows registered users to verify names and Social Security numbers for employment purposes and warns that using it under false pretenses is a violation of federal law."

As far as I know,LYING about your Country of origin,in order to secure an elected office is too!!!![:(!]
  • A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    "The site allows registered users to verify names and Social Security numbers for employment purposes and warns that using it under false pretenses is a violation of federal law."

As far as I know,LYING about your Country of origin,in order to secure an elected office is too!!!![:(!]

+1
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    quote:The Area Number is assigned by the geographical region. Prior to 1972, cards were issued in local Social Security offices around the country and the Area Number represented the State in which the card was issued. This did not necessarily have to be the State where the applicant lived, since a person could apply for their card in any Social Security office. Since 1972, when SSA began assigning SSNs and issuing cards centrally from Baltimore, the area number assigned has been based on the ZIP code in the mailing address provided on the application for the original Social Security card. The applicant's mailing address does not have to be the same as their place of residence. Thus, the Area Number does not necessarily represent the State of residence of the applicant, either prior to 1972 or since.

Generally, numbers were assigned beginning in the northeast and moving westward. So people on the east coast have the lowest numbers and those on the west coast have the highest numbers

quote:001-003 NH
    400-407 KY
    530 NV
    004-007 ME
    408-415 TN
    531-539 WA
    008-009 VT
    416-424 AL
    540-544 OR
    010-034 MA
    425-428 MS
    545-573 CA
    035-039 RI
    429-432 AR
    574 AK
    040-049 CT
    433-439 LA
    575-576 HI
    050-134 NY
    440-448 OK
    577-579 DC
    135-158 NJ
    449-467 TX
    580 VI Virgin Islands
    159-211 PA
    468-477 MN
    581-584 PR Puerto Rico
    212-220 MD
    478-485 IA
    585 NM
    221-222 DE
    486-500 MO
    586 PI Pacific Islands*
    223-231 VA
    501-502 ND
    587-588 MS
    232-236 WV
    503-504 SD
    589-595 FL
    237-246 NC
    505-508 NE
    596-599 PR Puerto Rico
    247-251 SC
    509-515 KS
    600-601 AZ
    252-260 GA
    516-517 MT
    602-626 CA
    261-267 FL
    518-519 ID
    627-645 TX
    268-302 OH
    520 WY
    646-647 UT
    303-317 IN
    521-524 CO
    648-649 NM
    318-361 IL
    525 NM *Guam, American Samoa,
    362-386 MI
    526-527 AZ Philippine Islands,
    387-399 WI
    528-529 UT Northern Mariana Islands
    650-699 unassigned, for future use
    700-728 Railroad workers through 1963, then discontinued
    729-799 unassigned, for future use
    800-999 not valid SSNs. Some sources have claimed that numbers
    above 900 were used when some state programs were converted
    to federal control, but current SSA documents claim no
    numbers above 799 have ever been used.
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was born in Iowa but I have a Minnesota SSN. That means my SSN wasn't applied for until I was a few years old. Folks didn't always immediately get one right after they were born.

I went my whole live with out an honest-to-goodness Birth Certificate. I had a "Certification of Live Birth" from the hospital that the Government inadvertently accepted when I enlisted and then again when I applied for an official business passport in 1998. I had no idea what I was carrying until someone at the county here refused to give me a CCW based on it. Had to order my first Birth Certificate -- at age 35.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Social Security's E-Verify system does NOT give an employer any information on the person to whom it was issued, they just get "verified" or "unable to verify".

Plus, Social Security maintains a "celebrity file" with the Social Security Numbers of well-known people, including, of course, every president since FDR. Anyone trying to electronically access the current president's information can expect a visit from the fellas with the bulges in the cheap suits.

So, I would have to assume that the rest of the story is bogus.

Neal
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    Social Security's E-Verify system does NOT give an employer any information on the person to whom it was issued, they just get "verified" or "unable to verify".

Plus, Social Security maintains a "celebrity file" with the Social Security Numbers of well-known people, including, of course, every president since FDR. Anyone trying to electronically access the current president's information can expect a visit from the fellas with the bulges in the cheap suits.

So, I would have to assume that the rest of the story is bogus.

Neal
    regardless... as I have been trying to say... it doesn't matter what state issued it, not one iota. It's about as relevant to anything as an argument over what the color blue tastes like.
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It tastes like 42.
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seems a little late for this story to break now...

Selective Service would have acted on this years ago. First thing they do is run your #.
  • soopsoop Member Posts: 4,633
    edited November -1
    It's on the internet so it must be true.
  • skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    According to Dairy Queen blue tastes like raspberry.[:)]