In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

No. 1

wvhuntwvhunt Member Posts: 822 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2011 in General Discussion
In a ruger No.1 what would be your big bore caliber choice and why?

Comments

• Delta Elite 10MMDelta Elite 10MM Member Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .458 WIN.....one shot show stopper
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    .45-70, 'cause that is what the one is that I inherited from brother[^]
  • DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They were (or are) offered in 458 Lott which is the 458 Winchester lengthened by a bit to give it more oomph. This gun can still chamber and fire 458 W.

Be advised that the #1 in 458 has killer recoil. A real teeth rattler.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doc
    They were (or are) offered in 458 Lott which is the 458 Winchester lengthened by a bit to give it more oomph. This gun can still chamber and fire 458 W.

Be advised that the #1 in 458 has killer recoil. A real teeth rattler.

when the .45-70 is loaded up to the max it's a handful too.

The No. 1 isn't that heavy of a rifle, and it's relatively short,
  • JustjumpJustjump Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    I have several #1s but my most accurate rifle right out of the box is my #1 in 45-70.

I want one in 458 next just because it is one badazz round.
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would say .45-70. Although I shoot the smokeless version through mine, the cartridge has some nostalgia and it can be loaded in a No. 1 to some very high pressures. I have a No. 1 I bought last year. Stainless with the laminate stock and a compact Burris scope. What a beauty to behold and a joy to shoot.

Are you familiar with how to "free float" a No. 1 barrel?
  • wvhuntwvhunt Member Posts: 822 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No i am not, this will be my first No. 1
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    no.3 in 444...because i have one
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get the thinnest washer you can find with an inside diameter the same as the screw under the forend of the stock. Grind the outside of the washer until it has the correct outside diameter. Run the screw through the washer and back up into the gun. Now your barrel is free-floated.
  • A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    Crow stay far away from here. Many have learned just how far a 220 Swift will reach. Funny how they loose a lot of feathers when that little bullet gets there. Works great of deer too, neck shot put them down right where they stand, always.
  • likemhotlikemhot Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ruger #1 in 7mm STW with 160 gr Nosler partition. From white tail thru brown bears and Texas nilgai.
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    always wanted one chambered for 35 whelen
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    300 win mag is good.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have No 1s in 458 and a 375 H & H, because of the stock design or the longish way I'm built (or maybe it's the Limbsavers?) the recoil doesn't bother me nearly as much as the CZ 550 in 416 Rigby. I really like the 375 H & H, I guess if I were going to pick another one it would be either the 338 Lapua Magnum or the 338 RUM.
  • DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The problem with the 416 and the 450/400 and the rest such calibers is ammo is God awful pricey and reloading components are not much better. I like the 458 bore because many bullets including cheap ones for fun shooting are available.

Yes, the 45/70 can be loaded up. But the 458 can also be loaded down. And the 45/70 still falls short of the 458 at the top end.

I do love the #1.

standard.jpg
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...